X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Magnetic (New Metallica) leaked

its out there... waiting for you...

imo worth checking out...

I'll be picking it up methinks... September 12th...
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Yeah, it "leaked" on Monday, but not in the traditional sense. What happened is that some record store in France put it out on store shelves. They sold about 100 CD's before stopping. 4 hours later it was let loose.

Of course, being the huge fan that I am, I had to download it. I managed to grab a 320Kbps mp3 of it, nice (yes, I already bought it and then some)!

It's very complex album. Meaning there are tons of starts and stops and only one song submits to the traditional verse, chorus, verse arrangement. Easily there best since AJFA. It's too early to see how good it is (or not). Kirk shines on this album. It's pretty much got elements in it from their entire career. It's mostly heavier, metal and thrashy for the most part with some slower songs.

I've probably listened to it about 10 times now.

Great songs:

The Day That Never comes
    My Apocalypse < --- All out thrash song as good as Damage Inc. or Dyers Eve
    All Nightmare Long < --- quickly becoming a fan favorite and mine as well, thrash.
    The Unforgiven 3 < --- Amazing piano, strings and horns to open it up, killer solo
    Suicide and Redemption <---Instrumental, not as good as Orioan, To Live is to Die, but good.

Decent songs:

That was Just your Life < --- I hate the first 2:20 seconds, especially the singing, but the rest is great.

The Judas Kiss < --- Everybody seems to love this song, it has it's good parts.
    Broken, Beat & Scarred <--- Very progress riffage, mostly good

Not so good:

Cyanide < --- The "Enter Sandman" of this album. Expect to hear it at every show. I hate it.

The End of the Line < --- This one just bores me except for maybe a couple of parts.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Yeah I like All Nightmare Long. I haven't done any serious listening yet, just kinda skipped through bits and listened to 30-60 second snipits.
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen| View Post
        Yeah I like All Nightmare Long. I haven't done any serious listening yet, just kinda skipped through bits and listened to 30-60 second snipits.
        Well, there is so much to each song, I think you will be surprised. Hearing 30-60 seconds means you heard very little. But yeah, All Nightmare Long will definitely be up there with most people I think.
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I don't wanna listen to too much yet, I wanna wait for the actual CD (mp3's suck).

Comment

Look, I know it'll make me unpopular, but... I'm GLAD they no longer make... err... MADE... 8 minute thrash tracks. I like Master of Puppets, it's awesome, but the whole "... And Justice For All" thing with the repeating riffs for 10 minutes, frankly I'm glad it's over.

But it's not over. It's BACK. Ugh. Why?

First they made St. Anger, which they declared to be a return to their roots. Apparently their roots are "can't play in tune or in time with each other". Now there's Death Magnetic, which is a return to "8 minutes without a catchy chorus".

I can just erase this one from my hard disk, and pretend that they just stopped years ago.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

I've found that it really takes me a few listens to enjoy/appreciate a lot of music lately. I don't jump into it saying "omgz this is the best thing ever" like I used to in my teens. Or sometimes you'll buy something, listen to it, kinda go "meh" and then put it on a shelf. Then you'll come back to it 5 years later and say, "wow, this is awesome!" I did that with The Fragile (nin) and The Division Bell (Floyd). I suspect Death Magnetic will be like that for some people - it is a pretty solid album (from what I've listened to).

Comment

Related, somewhat, to "leaking" and Metallica overall...it might be hard to listen to them after they've shown that they're primarilly a business; no-compromises stance from Napster days & onward...and only recently made some positive comments about new ways of promotion.

Only after other bands proved they're working (and probably in many cases that makes them competing with Metallica for the audience...)

I'll stick with Last.fm for now, one can plenty of great music there (yes, few artists I probably wouldn't know about otherwise; and now with their CDs on the shelf (however mostly useless they would be...it's still a nice feel to have them)

Comment

This one's for you Helivitia:

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yep, they are definitely cool looking. I've considering getting them because I have been looking for new headphones and the reviews say they are worth the money, but ultimately I ended up getting the Sennheiser HD280 Pros. I am so glad I went this route. Definitely worth the money! I might buy these anyway since I collect Metallica gear.

BTW, the album has been getting favorable reviews. I give it a 7.5 out of 10 personally. Definitely a nice change from all of the crap that is out there. Everything sounds exactly the same in the metal world. This album steps it up. It's basically got everything from their entire career in it.

Comment

Not too familiar with the Skull Candy brand, but the little I have heard say they are pretty good. Though I doubt they are better than the Sennheiser HD595's I have. Love those headphones.

I finally listened to the entire album the other day from the website. It's better than I thought, but not as good as the first 3-4 albums. I would put it on par with Justice and the Black album. Musically I think the album rocks, it's Hetfield's voice that drops the rank for me. He's either trying to be more musical than his voice can be (20+ years of Jaggermeister abuse will do that to you), or too pitchy and off synch with the music. A few songs they nail though, and those I really like. Though I have to admit, the album sounds better at a reasonably high volume in the open air of a room from big speakers than it does from headphones. There's just something about the music you lose through headphones, no matter how good your setup is.

After a single listen I would put the album at about a 7.5, too. Though I'm told after you listen through it 4-5 times it really starts to grow on you.
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Well, since I obsess over this band, I can tell you a few things you may not know yet and will help your listening experience.

There are a lot of complaints that this album is a victim of the loudness war and because of that, it has clipping, distortion and general over saturation. When you listen to the album through good headphones (as you found out), the distortion stands out tremendously and makes the album practically un-listenable at high volumes.

Somebody has already ripped a bit for bit FLAC version from GH3 because it sounds ten times better. This is proof that the final mix/mastering was cranked too high for the CD. There are probably a bazillion threads on this issue, so if you are interested, just search around and you will find out everything you need to know about it.

So you are right, it sounds better cranked on my system as well compared to the headphones. That's because you lose some of the highs ( I think) and so therefore there is less distortion. Also, the GH3 version sounds much more dynamic and you can hear everything including stuff you didn't even know existed on the CD.

As for the actual songs, you are right, after several listens it definitely grows on you, including James' voice. The purposely decided to do standard tuning which forced James out of his comfort zone and sing higher. Personally, I think he did a killer job and it is nice to hear him sing on songs like The Day That Never Comes and The Unforgiven III.

Everybody seems to love The Judas Kiss. Personally that is tied for least favorite song for me (the other being The End of the Line).

BTW, I like this album better than Kill 'em All. It ranks 4th for me, behind MOP, then Justice, then RTL.

Comment

Heh, funny - it seems that due to compression/loudness war CD has noticeably worse audio quality than...Guitar Hero release

Last week Metallica released a new album, Death Magnetic, on traditional CDs as well as downloadable content for Guitar Hero III. Fans quickly noticed that the sound quality on the CD version was noticeably below-par, thanks to the recording studio's decision to sacrifice range for loudness. However...

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere View Post
                            Heh, funny - it seems that due to compression/loudness war CD has noticeably worse audio quality than...Guitar Hero release

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl.../09/20/0047207
                            I guess you didn't read my post above

Also, I said it sounds 10 times better, but I should really say that it sounds better in lots of ways but it lacks other things, so even though it is bit for bit ripped from the DVD of GH3 it's missing the punch that it needs.

Comment

Uhm, yeah, I guess I just assumed it's similar to the previous ones/more (thorough after some long listening) impressions

Plus - the thing that I'm no longer really that interested in Metallica... (my first post in this thread)

Comment

Working...
                              X