New snack foods....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New snack foods....

The PICKLE POP!! (previously known as the PICKLE SICKLE)

Yes people; a dill pickle juice 'popsicle'.

We got promo samples and loved 'em, but then we all love dill pickles.

Even better on a hot day with a beer chaser.

Home....

Link...

Pickle Pops? No Joke! USDA-Approved for Back to School

By Carol Bengle Gilbert, published Jul 29, 2008

Just when you think you've seen everything, someone decides to market pickle pops. Pickle pops? Pickle pops are frozen pops made from pickle juice. Pickle pops are not new; Pickle pops hit the markets in April 2007, but with their January 2008 United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) approval, this school year is the first in which pickle pops are offered to the back to school lunch menu market. Don't be surprised if pickle pops are on the menu when your child heads back to school next month.

Do you wonder if the CEO at Bob's Pickle Pops, the company that created this green confection, is a 9 year old boy? I did. But when I checked the website for the Texas company, I learned that pickle pops were the invention of a man named John Howard, owner of Outerskate roller skating rink and arcade in Seguin, Texas.

Howard had begun freezing pickle juice at the rink and selling out of it, so he investigated further and developed a market for his new pickle pop confection which he says uses 100% of the pickle.

Pickle pops have proven surprisingly popular with chemotherapy patients whose taste buds often reject sweet tastes during treatment. Less of a surprise, perhaps, pregnant women are said to be enamored of pickle pops.

Having gained USDA approval to market pickle pops in schools, Howard has conducted taste tests among school-aged children and begun a marketing campaign directed at schools. Pickle pops are not cheap, however, selling at $19.95 retail for a box of 20.

The drive to market ever new and different treats does not begin with pickle pops. Numerous other unusual confections, most of which your child likely won't encounter when going back to school, have emerged in the marketplace in recent years:

Lemon Cheesecake Flavored Nestle's KitKat candy bar (limited edition)

Upon hearing of lemon cheesecake KitKats, I investigated further and learned that these unusually flavored candy bars, marketed in Germany and Japan, are not alone. KitKat makes candy bars in curry, cumin and masala flavors.

Chocolate Water

Strathmore Mineral Water Co., Ltd. introduced chocolate water to encourage children to drink more water.

Odd Ice Cream

Ice cream makers have introduced so many specialty flavors that once unusual treats like rose petal, fennel, or clove are now relatively commonplace. Not quite so common? Bacon and egg ice cream offered by the Fat Duck in Berkshire, England.

The Japanese sell fish ice cream, octopus ice cream, ox tail ice cream, eel ice cream, cactus ice cream, raw horseflesh ice cream, charcoal ice cream, and fried eggplant ice cream among numerous other unusual flavors. Japan beat Romania to the punch in offering a Dracula ice cream flavored with garlic.

Udder Delights in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware believes it has developed a one of kind product with barbecue flavor ice cream. Shop owner Hearn frequently experiments with flavors; some of his more unusual ones besides barbecue include mushroom ice cream, stout beer ice cream, and cucumber onion ice cream.

Now who's calling pickle pops strange?
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

You continue to astound me time and again.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Yuck!
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
        Yuck!

I'm with Brian on this one.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I take it a 'pickle' is a gherkin in English ?

Quite like them, but would not have a frosted one, or frozen one...I quite like the vinegar really...
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
            I take it a 'pickle' is a gherkin in English ?

Quite like them, but would not have a frosted one, or frozen one...I quite like the vinegar really...
            Wimps

It's not a whole pickle/gherkin - it's the juice and spices and there is more than enough vinegar, garlic etc. to go around. Even our 10 year old loved 'em.

I understand they also have hot versions (spiked with hot peppers) and they sell another version of the juice bottled for drinking. In point of fact another company makes a pickle based sports drink.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
            X