G550 PCIe x1 - Slow 2D performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G550 PCIe x1 - Slow 2D performance

I just tried a G550 PCIe 1x PCI-Express video card; The card is installed in a very fast computer (Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q9450) running Windows XP-32bit and driving a 24-in LCD display (1920x1080) over DVI.

What surprised me is that the screen refreshes are much slower than what I am now used to (when moving windows, popping the start menu, minimizing and maximizing windows, etc.). For example, my Radeon Mobility X1400 laptop feels much faster, as well as my other gaming cards such as Radeon X1900s or Geforce 8800s.

So I was wondering if this is expected with such card, or if I should look for a bad driver or windows setting somewhere? Would I get better results with newer PCIe 1x Matrox cards?

After reading some posts on these forums, I now realize that this card (G550) is using a very old ASIC, so maybe it explains why its 2D performance is so low compared to recent ATI or nVidia products.

Do we know of a web site comparing 2D performance of available graphics cards? I am mostly interrested in PCI-Express x1 versions.

Thanks,

Ozo.

Is the video accelleration slider set to maximum?
    (somewhere in display properties)

I have had installs where the installation of my Parhelia went without issues, but the slider was not set to max (and it yielded a similar behaviour).
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I don't see why it should have any problems. (He's on XP32, which was out in 2001 as well).
      The place where I was working last summer used G550's for quite a few applications on the floor and I never found them to be slow, granted that was all on Win2k.
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Working...
      X