Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CeleronVSPIII

Trying to save some money.

I see the new drivers for the G400 have been optimized for Celeron systems.

Is there much of a performance difference between a Celeron366 overclocked to 550 VS a PIII 600? I'm not a Quake player, mostly Descent and space sims.

Any information or URLS pointing to reviews would be appreciated.

Thanks,

The TurboGL has been optimized for Celeron's and PII's. If you're running unsupported games, and most games are, the optimizations shouldn't make a bit of difference.

I don't know about the specific games you're playing, but I suspect more and more games will begin taking advantage of KNI.

In addition, a PIII 600 should outperform a PIII 550. I've run 500 MHz PIII's at 560, and my PIII 600 is faster.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Whats KNI ?

Games I'll be running
      Descent 3
      FreeSpace 2
      Some Auto Racing Games
      Maybe some Xwing like game.

I know there's a slight performance difference between 550 or 600 mhz, but I'm talking about human noticable differences in performance. If its a 2-3 frame rate difference, big deal. If its a 10-15, yea that would be a concern.

Comment

KNI = Katmai New Instructions or better known as SSE.

Comment

Hi guys,

I have benchmarked a PII 450 MHz against a Celeron @ 500 MHz. At all FPU tests my PII simply scored about 3% higher than the Celeron which is clocked 5% higher than the PII. Seems that the PII core is a little bit more efficient or that a smaller cache at full CPU speed isn't more efficient than a bigger cache at half CPU speed.

And the PIII is another story. KNI is a extension of the normal x86 instruction set with some instructions which speed up multimedia related things. The instructions used for 3D calculations are around 2 times faster than doing those tasks without using the KNI instructions.

However, in real life the efficiency is lower and is about 50% faster than without KNI. I benchmarked my PII 450 against a PIII 450 using 3DMark 2000. My PII scored 86 and the PIII scored 128 in the CPU test.

Frank

Comment

3DMark 2000 is a typical P3/3DNow! optimized product. But I guess in most apps you won't see a significant improvement over a Celeron unless the app is optimized for the P3-specific extensions.

------------------
            Celeron 500, Soyo 7IZB+ (socket 370), 96MB PC100, G400Max, Vortex2, and two vintage 17" pieces - Hitachi CM 1711 and Iiyama MF-8317

Asus A7V, Duron 600@900, 192MB PC133@100, G200, Guillemot MUSE, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X