We're moved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're moved!

Well, after much sweating, swearing, and harrowing moments... we're moved in!

The new place is technically bigger, but of course has less "storage" space, so we're still pretty cramped in here.

I'll try to post some pictures later once we get things a little arranged.

Highlights of the move...

1. Me trying to navigate a 26' truck from the pickup spot (35+ miles from the old place) through downtown traffic in Framingham (a small city), and then down routes 9 (little more than a wide road) and 90 (the Massachusetts Turnpike) during Friday rush hour.

2. The truck suddenly, 40 minutes into the drive, beginning to squeal from the dash, as a light saying "auxiliary brake failure" came on... and I was going downhill at the time!

3. Putting ex-Air Force and ex-Marines on the same truck loading detail. (Also Network Engineers + Windows/Linux Engineers, scary!)

Highlights of the new place...

1. Logan's GIGANTIC 3rd-floor room. It's all his until after the new year when we move Jacob up there in anticipation of the baby. It's also a separate (better functioning) AC zone.

2. The ENORMOUS mess that the landlord didn't clean up. Ick.

3. The half-mile walk to the dumpster (ok, maybe only a quarter-mile, but still) and mailbox.

4. The moldy smell downstairs because the landlord hadn't run the AC or dehumidifiers for quite some time. There were actual mold spots in a couple places. A day of dehumidifying seems to have helped, but ... wow.

Anyway, we're here now. No going back, the old house is empty and waiting for us to drive up and clean it tomorrow. We're partly unpacked, the kids beds are set up, and they will be rejoining us later this morning. Whew!

- Gurm Out
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Hopefully you'll be able to stay at the new place until well after #3 arrives. I noticed that Internet was ready in a timely fashion after moving in
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Priorities.

Anyway, best of luck with the new home Gurm!
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Julie went down early the day of the move to wait for the delivery of some new furniture. The cable guy called at like 9:30AM and said "well I know I'm not scheduled until a lot later, but I am down the road do you want to get hooked up now?"

And it's MUCH faster cable. Well, the download is probably equivalent but I'm actually getting the 2Mbit upstream I ought to be getting.

Anyway... we too hope that we will be in here for at least a whole year this time, maybe longer. That is, provided that the mold monsters in the basement don't get us first! Muhahahahahaha!
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Good news: Gurm has moved and the cable is fast.

Bad news: we're still waiting for a closing date because of the a-holes at the sellers bank taking their own sweet time
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

That's ok Doc, someone's bank is always an a-hole. It's how real estate works. If it wasn't their bank it'd be YOURS, so just thank your stars.

Comment

Working...
            X