Last of the summer vine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last of the summer vine!

Have just stripped the last of a Thompson Seedless vine, which has supplied us and neighbours with over 60 bunches since early July. Each bunch was between ~500 g and 1350 g and many of the berries were between 8 and 10 g each of what tasted like 80% glucose! I'll be quite happy if I don't see another grape again - at least until next July!

Much as we enjoyed them, we have put on weight. I must admit though that, as a rule, I prefer my grapes in 7.5 dl bottles!

Now the figs are starting: picked one today at 110 g! I'll let Margaret have those, as I don't like them (nor the prickly pears which are also nearly ready).
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

then why not just bottle them?

mfg
    wulfman
    "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
    "Lobsters?"
    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
    "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Not a suitable variety for that! We don't have any Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chasselas, Pinot, Gruener Veltliner or suchlike types. In any case, 50 kg or thereabouts is too small for a reliable vinification.

Comment

For wine, try mixing 1 kilo of Thompson seedless with 'prox' 100-200 g of dark raisins (translating US to metric in my head on the fly is tricky!). It won't be Chardonnay, but it will taste okay and knock you over after a couple of glasses.

Wine-making is all about experimenting, and my father-in-law did a LOT of experimenting!

Kevin

Comment

Isn't that fructose, not glucose?

(either way, one of the best available natural "energy coctails"...lately I try to avoid syntethic stuff)

Comment

glucose, aka grape sugar, is a mixture of dextrose (dextrafructose) and laevofructose, if I remember correctly.

Comment

Working...
            X