Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modem IRQ problem

Hi!
    I've got FIC VB-601 with Celeron 300a@450 MHz, 128 Mb PC-100, Matrox G-400 16 Mb, Creative Modem Blaster 56 PCI DI5630. My problem is old as my computer is, but now is realy bothering me! When I try to connect with modem, entire system starts to blocking (mouse, music on winamp...) Just after dialing ends, everything is back to normal. I've tried to put modem into a diferent PCI slot, but everything was the same. Also, tried to change IRQ for modem, but with no luck. My modem is on the same IRQ with USB Controler, and when I change IRQ for modem, USB IRQ is also changed at the same number. BIOS on my MB is the newest one (from FIC WEB page) but I don't have option for disabeling USB from BIOS. Just something ("Assign IRQ for USB") But, nothing changes when I enable or disable this option. Is there some other way to disable USB controler, and what could be other reasons for that modem behaving?
    Thanks
    P.S. This is 3rd modem I have (SupraExpres, Alana US Robotics) and this is NOT a Winmodem!
    Celeron 300A @ 450,
    64 PC100 6 ns SDRAM,
    G 400 16 Mb oc 200/150,

Go into the Control Panel-System Properties-Device Manager and highlight the USB controller by clicking on it. Click on the Properties button and select General. Check the box which reads "Disable in this hardware profile". Reboot.

This has worked for me previously.

Comment

Thanks for reply, I just did as you said, but my system still locks durring the modem calling, so this is not solution for my problem
      Celeron 300A @ 450,
      64 PC100 6 ns SDRAM,
      G 400 16 Mb oc 200/150,

Comment

May be a memory conflict or driver conflict.
        Try in control panel to assign it another memory address.
        Reinstall the drivers and try to get the latest drivers for it.
        In control panel remove modem,restart and install latest drivers for your modem.
        The usb would only be a conflict if a device was attached to it.(is there a device attached to it?)

Comment

I have a diamond pci hardware modem. I have had it for 15 months now and in that time it has been in 5 different motherboards. No matter where it goes, no matter what cpu is in the slot it still pauses on initial dialup. I have the latest bios for everything (i am a new bios freak!!) and the latest drivers but it still happens. i have just got used to it.

------------------
          p3 450@600. bx6 ver 2. 128mb unbranded pc100. iwill 2930u scsi, diamond pro pci modem, advansys 1505 isa scsi, SB Live!, pioneer dvd103s, hollywood plus dvd card, plextor 40x cd rom, ricoh 1420 cdr, ibm 13.5gb @ 7200rpm, G400 @ max settings. All wrapped up in a big case with loads of fans. Belinea 10 30 40 17" monitor

1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
          Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
          Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Thanks, guys for replys! I've tried all that jou said without success. I've got newest drivers, tried to remove and add modem, change memory address - nothing! Well, it simms I've got to used to it just as Birdy said!
            Celeron 300A @ 450,
            64 PC100 6 ns SDRAM,
            G 400 16 Mb oc 200/150,

Comment

PCI WinModems will almost always do this on dial-up. I had a Lucent 56k Winmodem in my old PC and it did the same thing. Winmodems are NOT true modems.

Winmodems have a little tone gernator on a board, but almost all other modem functions are emulated by the CPU and OS. On some computers this will cause a 'lock-up' because the priority the modem gets when it dials up is High to Real Time, so nothing else but video runs. This is so your winmodem will not drop the connection because of a lose of resources.

A true modem, on the other hand, runs almost completely off the modem card and is very CPU independent. That is why most hard-core gamers get ISA true modems, assuming they do not have DSL or better, or PCI true modems (there are a few that exsist) so they do not lose CPU overhead to the modem.

Your solutions...live with it, get a true modem or a DSL/Cable modem service. Just my $0.02

Jammrock

------------------
              PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.

[This message has been edited by Jammrock (edited 21 December 1999).]
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yes, I can confirm that´s normal with any winmodem. I´ve tried three different winmodem chips (rockwell HCF, lucent, motorola) and all of them did that. BTW I have a 450 celery too.

Both a 33.4 zoltrix isa hardmodem and a diamond supraexpress 56k external don´t stutter like that.

Comment

O.K. guys, I guess that was my big mistake, when I thought Modem blaster is hard modem... But, how can I recognize hard and soft modem? In the store, guy said to me this is NOT a Win modem or softmodem!

------------------
                  Celeron 300A @ 450,
                  64 PC100 6 ns SDRAM,
                  G 400 16 Mb oc 200/150,
                  Celeron 300A @ 450,
                  64 PC100 6 ns SDRAM,
                  G 400 16 Mb oc 200/150,

Comment

Hold on... Does a PCI modem require an IRQ? I thought it didn't... not when the modem is not sharing with another peripheral. Only if it's sharing with another peripheral, which includes your USB-port, then it needs an IRQ (thanks to Matt for explaining that to me).

On some MB's the USB shares resources with two PCI slots. Your mobo shares resources across slots the same as any other BX board with 5 PCI's does. Meaning: Slot 2 has no sharing, slot 5 shares with ISA next, and 3 and 4 share with each other and USB. 1 of course shares with AGP....

So, what you could try is disable the IRQ for the USB port and then pull the IRQ for the modem.

Or you could try to put the modem into slot 1, next to the AGP port, as the modem doesn't need busmastering and won't slow down the G400.

Hope this helps a bit

I'll be checking in again.

Jorden.
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jorden: Winmodems require an IRQ because they have (or emulate) a com: port. All the winmodems I´ve tried demanded an IQR. And the louziest part of it was that they have preference for IRQ´s like 11 and 12... one od them even kicked my G400 to IRQ5... External modems are way better, at least they set on the mobo com2 and so the IRQ requirement are much more predictable

Miro: An easy way to recognize a win/hard modem is to look for its minimum system requirements. Look at the cpu: if it says i386 minimum, it´s a hardmodem for sure. Winmodems usually require a p133 minimum. Some people say that if it doesn´t require windows it´s not a winmodem - not true - rockwell hcf winmodems work in DOS (but not in Linux ).

But as a general rule: PCI 56k modems are usually winmodems. ISA 56k modems are usually hardmodems. External serial modems are all hardmodems. Beware - external USB modems are winmodems!

Comment

Thanks! I've finally succeeded to get only Creative PCI modem enumerator (without USB controllers) to IRQ 9 but without any differences. I’ve disabled IRQ for USB and tried to change PCI slots, but always the same! I was unable to put modem into slot 1 because my G 400’s with heatsink cover this slot.
                        Jorden: I also checked Modemblaster’s Web site and there is no info about minimum configuration, but they said supported OS are Win NT and Win 9x – so no 3.11!!!
                        O.K. Things are what they are… ‘til I buy “real “ modem, I must be cool and patient.
                        Thanks again for all your help!

------------------
                        Celeron 300A @ 450,
                        64 PC100 6 ns SDRAM,
                        G 400 16 Mb oc 200/150,
                        Celeron 300A @ 450,
                        64 PC100 6 ns SDRAM,
                        G 400 16 Mb oc 200/150,

Comment

Are you using Win 3.11 then, Miro??
                          Jordâ„¢

Comment

No of course, I just saying this as a reply to Nuno and his hint: “if it doesn’t require windows it’s not a winmodem”. So, if my modem requires windows 9x, and does not working in win 3.11 than my conclusion is: yes, I’ve got winmodem.
                            Celeron 300A @ 450,
                            64 PC100 6 ns SDRAM,
                            G 400 16 Mb oc 200/150,

Comment

erm... yes, as I said that´s not always like that. Winmodems with the Rockwell HCF chip actually work under DOS (so I guess win 3.1x also) because they have a complete hardware com port. All the other stuff is done in the cpu, though. But you are correct, interpreting the omited facts: if it doesn´t work in win 3.1x it is for sure a winmodem. But keep in mind that it *could* work in 3.1x and still be a winmodem. I can tell you one thing for sure: if it works in linux it IS a hardmodem

*Some* Winmodems are ok, really. If a thunderstorm didn´t fry my rockwell HCF I would still be using it for sure. My personal experience:
                              - Rockwell HCF: I bought it as a cheap upgrade to a 33.4 ISA modem. Good connections (42000-44000), dowloads at 4.8 kbs, good ping (150-250). No big issues with it, really. highly recommended if someone are into a winmodem.

- Lucent: Average. Good connection speeds, average ping, but the dl speed was about 3.3 kbs no matter how I tweked it, so it made no big difference from my old ISA.

- Motorolla: The biggest piece of crap I ever saw. 28000 bps connections. Need I say more? This modem is really sensitive to line noise.

Now I have a Diamond Supra Express external 56k.Finnally a hardmodem. Advantages? More steady connections (disconnects are much more frequent with the winmodems), slightly better ping and connection speeds (45333) that the HCF, the download speeds are about the same. Is it better? yes. Worth the difference? honnestly, no, it costs almost twice more.

Comment

Working...
                              X