Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And this years Darwin Award special mention goes to....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And this years Darwin Award special mention goes to....

The "gifted" student who drank liquid nitrogen

Link.....

PRINCETON, N.J. (AP) - August 15, 2008 -- A gifted 15-year-old student from India had to be rushed to the hospital after drinking liquid nitrogen during a science class at Princeton University.

The class was part of a program run by the Connecticut-based Summer Institute for the Gifted. It isn't affiliated with the university.

The students were performing a popular experiment in which liquid nitrogen is used to make ice cream.

Nitrogen liquefies at negative 328 degrees Fahrenheit -- cold enough to cause burns.

The Summer Institute says the boy was in critical condition and has been upgraded to stable.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

He must have thought the belch would be epic.

Seriously, WTF? I knew by age 9 how dangerous cryogenic liquids were, just from watching the Gemini launches. How did this kid get in the gifted program in the first place? Just because he could recite pi to 100 places?

Kevin

Comment

While you have to be insane to do it, apparently quite few people have done it with varing results.
      I heard one guy had done it several times as a trick with no ill effect, the last time he did he was hospitalized.
      Small amounts and luck may keep boiling/bubbling off enough to keep away from throat/stimoach lining, but still you have to be can short of a six pack to do it.

Liquid nitrogen does make jaffas nice and crunchy though. how come we don't have a crazy smiley?

Comment

I saw ice cream made this way in this past season's "Top Chef." Apparently it does a quite superior job. The LN surrounds the ice cream mixing bowl so this kid must have accidentally sloshed some into the receptacle.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

2000 Personal Account: One Cool Dude: A letter from Michael. My senior year of college opened with the customary research projects, grad school applications, and the like. But that all changed two months ago. Some of you may have heard rumors of some bizarre

not sure about this one as I can't access youtube at work

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
          X