AMD/ATi 4850 X2 and 4870 X2 all official like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD/ATi 4850 X2 and 4870 X2 all official like

Yes, you read that right, TWO X2 parts based on the HD 4000-series chip. Now get this, the 4850 X2 will be priced at $399, and the 4870 X2 will run $599 and is rumored to be the same speed as SLI nvidia GTX 280's in most games.

The reason why could be explained because AMD stuck in a gen. 2 PCIe bus so their overhead is only 20% for on-card SLI. Meaning there is a 180% performance boost on the X2 cards versus the standard cards, unlike the typical 130%-150%.

No official benchies yet, but those should be hitting soon(TM).

ExtremeTech is the Web's top destination for news and analysis of emerging science and technology trends, and important software, hardware, and gadgets.

Sure, times might be tough at AMD, but that's not stopping the crew at ATI from gunning for NVIDIA's newest gear -- the company just announced the new HD Radeon 4850 X2 and 4870 X2. Aimed at the "super high-end" of the market, the $399 4850 X2 and $599 4870 X2 feature two GPU chips on a 625 or 750MHz bus, respectively, with up to 2GB of 900MHz GDDR5 RAM. ATI says that there's a 20 percent overhead from pairing up the processors, so the X2s should offer 180 percent of the single GPU cards -- certainly enough to outgun a single NVIDIA GTX 280, and reportedly enough to match a dual-280 setup depending on the game. We'll see for sure when the inevitable flood of benchmarks hits when these bad boys arrive next month -- any gamers out there going to take the plunge?Read - ExtremeTechRead - CNET

Time to start saving up those pennies.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Reviews now coming in, and this card is very fast:

...when it scales well. It seems some games, like Crysis, just don't scale so their marks are very low compared to the nvidia parts. Other games, like Half-life 2, the 4870 X2 lays waste to the entire GTX line, even in 3-way SLI. Especially at high resolutions...wow. Makes me want a pair of 30" screens and a 4870 X2 crossfire

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Maybe now the GTX280 will drop even more. I've seen it as low as $430. At about $400 I'd still take it over the 4870X2 at $550-600.
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

now we just need some new and interesting games to play with all this power
        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Very cool... I still can't remember the last time I spent over $200 for a video card though...
          Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Working...
          X