X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA out of Intel/AMD chipset business

Link....

VIA heralds end of third-party PC chipset biz

VIA has tacitly confirmed that it's quitting the PC chipset business, claiming that there's no longer a third-party chipset market worth the name.

Richard Brown, VIA's marketing chief, told Custom PC: "We believed that ultimately the third-party chipset market would disappear... That has indeed come to pass."

VIA's perspective is that with Intel producing almost all the chipsets used with Intel processors, and with AMD increasingly the prime supplier of system logic for its own processors, there's a rapidly narrowing space for third-party chipset makers.

In VIA's case, it appears it has decided the gap is now too narrow, and it's getting out. At the very least, it saves it having to go to the expense of licensing Intel's new QuickPath Interconnect (QPI) bus, set to debut with the giant's 'Nehalem' CPUs.

Nvidia has a QPI licence, though it had to hand over its multi-GPU technology, SLI, in exchange.

Curiously, it's only weeks since it was claimed that Nvidia had come to the same conclusion. Nvidia quickly denied it, but while it soldiers on, it has to face the prospect that it's getting harder and harder to occupy anything more than a niche, particularly now Intel has SLI.

Meanwhile, VIA will leverage its chipset expertise to build system chippery for its own CPUs.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Probably because their Nano CPU is the best low-power chip on the market and they will likely make a killing there.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Based on the reviews i've seen of the nano, a good Eee PC based on one of those would be sweet...
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Thank GOD.

Now, don't get me wrong. There were eventually good chipsets from SiS and ALI/ULI/URHigh, but after a while shitty chipset manufacturers should just say "y'know what? Our chipsets SUCK OUT LOUD. We shouldn't make them any more."
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

This is a good move for them... but this leaves nVidia and SiS as about the only games left in town: ALi is hardly even worth mentioning anymore.

Say what you like about past VIA Chipsets: they have come a long way since the 686a and 686b chipsets of old.

The embedded market is where VIA is doing well... one might even go so far as to say dominating because their C7D series spanked the Intel Atom so thoroughly); their chipsets are complimentary to their processors. Their driver support is regular and proactive - which makes embedded development quite a bit simpler. They are one of the few vendors who publish Windows CE and Windows Embedded drivers for public download.

Hell, their Firewire chipsets are practically the best in the industry: with fewer errata than the TI and Agere part numbers; even their Gigabit adapters are pretty good, and their Audio Codecs, while simple, are quite servicable.

Still their platform drivers are far enough off the beaten path to where a sysprep image built on an Intel Box won't work at all... I guess you can't have everything.
          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Thank god! Their chipsets were horrible!

Comment

Via thank god for thank.
              No doubt they'll making corrupting data chips for the mobile market as well
              Dunno about the nano being the best low power chip on the market. It takes quite a bit of juice.
              Against that another chipset maker out of the market means less compation less innovation. Via paid the price for the huge data corruption problems, poor drivers and tech support that stuck it's head in the ground rather than trying to solve the problems.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
              X