NASA's bad day....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA's bad day....

NASA had a very bad day testing the parachute system for it's new Orion spaceship.

During the July 31st Orion parachute test there was a "slight technical glitch" with the "programmer parachute" that gave the Parachute Test Vehicle (PTV = an Orion analog - same shape & weight) a violent spin and then a nice crash into the ground.

Oops

The programmer parachute is intended to correct the orientation of the re-entering spacecraft as it descends, a necessary operation before the drogue parachutes can be deployed to slow it before the mains are deployed.

Unfortunately during this PTV test-drop problems arose very quickly; as soon as the programmer parachute was deployed, it failed to inflate and therefore did not cause any drag.

This happened as the programmer parachute was being buffeted by turbulence in the wake of the PTV and stabilization parachutes. The PTV was therefore allowed to fall in an uncontrolled manner; basically upside-down.

Continuing to drop the programmer and stabilization parachutes were jettisoned (having not done their job very well) and drogue parachutes were deployed. As the PTV was falling out of control the drogue parachutes were put under immediate and excessive strain and wrapped around the PTV, dynamic pressure causing the drogue to be cut away.

Having suffered some major whiplash the PTV's main landing bag retention system was damaged and also failed. Continuing to fall, the main parachutes were deployed, and almost immediately two were ripped from the vehicle, forcing the PTV to hit the ground with only one parachute open.

There are no details as to what damage was caused by this failed test, but I think we can safely assume the PTV will need more than a little body work

Makes one wonder if human cadavers were used on this particular drop; they often are to establish potential injury data. If they were I wouldn't want to have been the first engineer on the scene
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Now you see why, when I was in the army, I refused para training, me who gets vertigo if I stand on a thick carpet.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
      Now you see why, when I was in the army, I refused para training, me who gets vertigo if I stand on a thick carpet.

When YOU where in the army, your parachute looked like this:

~~DukeP~~

Comment

ROFLMAO, Duke: Good One!

Brian, I am expecting a fabulous riposte to this jab.
        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
          Makes one wonder if human cadavers were used on this particular drop; they often are to establish potential injury data. If they were I wouldn't want to have been the first engineer on the scene
          While in the past human cadavers were used, researches can now rely on pretty good crash test dummies. Depending on the type of body-damage they want to measure, pigs can also be used.

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
          Oddly enough, vertigo is said to stop once you have no contact with the ground anymore. I know a flight attendant who has vertigo. The toughest part for her is when she has to open the door and wait for the stairs/ramp to dock...

(good one, DukeP! )

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

My diving instructor where terrible seasick.

The moment she got below the surface, she barfed a few times, cleared her throat and dived on as if nothing.

Most students where properbly impressed.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
              Oddly enough, vertigo is said to stop once you have no contact with the ground anymore.
              Indeed, as soon as you've fallen over, vertigo is replaced by outright terror.
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Or, in the case of BASE jumpers, euphoria

Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                X