Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• archiving dvd collection

Hello,

I'm about to start ripping my CD collection to flac, and have a good view on which tools to use, what settings and how to do it...

What are my options to rip my DVD collection?
    I'd like to keep menus and extras, if possible add meta information (e.g. synopis - don't mind typing it myself). The idea is to have the DVDs in some form on harddisk. My initial thought was using "DVD Fab 5.0.5.0" to rip them, but are there other suggestions (Imtoo perhaps?)?
    Other things I should look out for?
    Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

DVD: anydvd + dvd decrypter

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
      DVD: anydvd + dvd decrypter
      Full quality rip!

Can generate handy ISOs or sets of files.

I have not needed AnyDVD myself yet. DVD Decrypter works wonders on its own.
      Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 5 August 2008, 14:20.

Comment

DVD decrypter is all have needed for DVD's

However I do believe any-dvd(HD) is the only one able to enable blu-ray ripping, in fact you can use it to watch blu ray movies without HDCP hardware as well.

Comment

I tried with DVDFab5, but it seems to loose subtitles and audio (other than the default).
          I'll give those tools a go!

Just to make sure: is this the one: http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/ ?
          Is bestter to rip to .iso or to harddisk files?

I noticed that MediaPlayer can get artwork for DVDs, is something like this possible when ripping?

Thanks!

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Well, similar as to with DVDFab5, I lost subtitles... but it turns out they are only lost when I play the file with MediaPlayer; Zoomplayer has no issues and finds both subtitles as audio tracks.

It looks like both are quite equal...

One more thing: none of these programs seem to be able to work under vmware (thus inside a virtual machine)... any workaround to this?

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

This probably has more to do with Virtual Machines' troubles accessing hardware sometimes than with the software that tries to do so. You'll probably also not be able to watch TV from a DVB-T stick inside the VM. I guess the DVD drive the software sees in the VM is also virtualized.
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Ok, so yesterday I ripped (30 double single layer - double sided discs, it's a TV series I bought on DVD) using DVD Decrypter, which cost me about 160 GB.

Playback in ZoomPlayer works perfectly (menus, subtitles, ...), but playback in Mediaplayer seems to lose those menus and subtitles.... Any ideas (I'm not sure anymore if I opened a vob file or the ifo file)?

Just a(nother?) weird question: How hard is it to make a dvd menu that would allow me to select from the different disks? I assume I'd have to reauthor the video one way or another... Which tool would be recommended?
                edit: Authoring might be too strong a word, but it would be nice if one could have a menu where all the dvds of a box are easily available.

Thanks!

Jörg
                Last edited by VJ; 7 August 2008, 02:56.
                pixar

Comment

DVD Lab Studio for the menus.

The best thing about using ISOs is that when mounting them as a virtual drive they trigger the DVD software instead of having to navigate the menus through the DVD player software menus and file dialogs.
                  Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 7 August 2008, 05:14.

Comment

You'll run into a lot of discs that DVD Decrypter can't rip.
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

HJ:
                      DVDLab... any freeware recommendations?

Yes, but doesn't using .iso move the "navigate the dvd player user interface to access the files" to "navigate the iso-mount software to load the iso file" ?
                      Hence my thought of making a DVD menu, which could perhaps allow me access to the hdd files... It suffices to load this menu in the dvd player software to access all the ripped dvds without further navigating the user interface.

Gurm:
                      Possibly, but so far so good (my collection also isn't that extensive at the moment)...
                      If necessary, I can still resort to DVDFab or AnyDVD...

Jörg
                      pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                        Gurm:
                        Possibly, but so far so good (my collection also isn't that extensive at the moment)...
                        If necessary, I can still resort to DVDFab or AnyDVD...
                        It's mostly newer stuff you'll run into, DVD Decrypter stopped development some time ago now, right in the middle of the Arccos push. Any later implementations of that or the new Macrovision... will pretty much flummox it.

And you might not see that it didn't rip right, unless you watch it and determine that the movie doesn't work.

And I wholeheartedly recommend using AnyDVD _and_ DVD Decrypter together.
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

I found this software:

It allows one to easily merge dvdmenus, but only for up to 4 dvds... now to find an easy way to do this for any number of disks...

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

Working...
                          X