X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sharing internet connection woes...

Hello,

I'm having trouble with my network... First, the situation:

I have a Vista Ultimate running as my main machine. It gets an (statically assigned) dhcp ip address on its wired LAN from a router. On this Vista, I have VMWare server installed, and on it is an XP Pro. This virtual machine also gets a (statically assigned) dhcp ip addres on its lan from the same router.
    The router is set to work as a router, not as a gateway.

Now, I connect the Vista machine via a modem to the internet.

First problem: at this point, the XP can no longer access shared folders on the Vista machine (despite the fact that "password shared folders" is enabled). How do I solve this without breaching security too much?

Second problem: I'd like the XP to also be able to access the internet connection. I have set the sharing option in the dialup connection of the Vista machine, but the (standard present) Internet Connection on the XP does not seem to pick it up... How do I get this?

Thanks!!!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Is VMWare in Bridge Mode?
    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Yes...
      But I have experienced numerous issues with this combo. Between host-guest, ping by ip address worked, nbtstat resolved the name to the ip address and nslookup gave a correct result, but despite this: ping (or any other network thing) by name did not work. This is the main reason I went with statically assigned dhcp addresses (and added host names in the hosts files).
      Yesterday, I decided to try running vista in a vmware, and it yielded none of the above networking issues at all (haven't tried sharing connection).

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

I also have issues sharing the internet connection with the virtual vista machine, but I doubt I can solve this: apparently, internet connection sharing does not work if there is a dhcp server (all machines in the network must be set to automatically get IP, and then Windows should organize this.... ).

Problem is that I have no idea how to set this up on vmware...

I suspect I should disable dhcp on my router (to prevent this from handing out ip addresses), and simply select "bridged networking"...? Right?

Jörg
        Last edited by VJ; 6 August 2008, 00:16.
        pixar

Comment

Working...
        X