Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GM/Ford to share Volt tech & power trains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM/Ford to share Volt tech & power trains?

Wow doesn't begin to describe it.

Link....

Ford, GM explore joint engines

Ailing automakers look to save costs of developing powertrains

Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News

General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. are discussing a possible collaboration to develop new engines and other powertrain technologies, according to sources at both companies.

The rival automakers are keen to find ways to reduce research-and-development costs even as they struggle to respond to a dramatic shift in consumer demand from big trucks and sport utility vehicles toward smaller, more economical cars and crossovers.

A deal could give Ford access to GM's Volt technology -- if it becomes commercially viable. It could also help GM offset cuts to its product development budget.

GM first approached Ford more than a month ago, two sources familiar with the situation said. GM told Ford that it was willing to discuss a wide range of possible collaborations.

GM's overture drew a mixed reaction inside Ford. Some executives felt that previous joint projects had benefited GM more than they had Ford, but others -- including Ford's global product development chief, Derrick Kuzak -- saw it as an opportunity to leverage some of GM's technology while at the same time reducing Ford's own development costs.

The matter went to Ford's board of directors last month, which voted to authorize negotiations with GM.

Since then, there have been at least three meetings between the two companies involving Barb Samardzich, Ford's head of powertrain operations, and her counterpart at GM. No agreements have been reached, but the talks were characterized as promising.

Neither company would confirm or deny the reports. GM spokesman Tom Wilkinson said his company does "not comment on speculation about future products or product development."

Ford spokesman Said Deep said Ford is concentrating on bringing its fuel-efficient European platforms to North America, but did not rule out working with another manufacturer.

"Our focus and greatest opportunity is to create 'One Ford,' and we're doing that leveraging our own global assets," he said. "(But) we're always open to talking to others in the industry. Beyond that, we're not going to comment."

Success worth replicating

Powertrains are the logical focus of any collaboration, say insiders in both companies.

Engines and transmissions represent a huge portion of the development cost of a new car or truck, yet they are not immediately obvious to the consumer in the way that a new navigation system or body design is. Developing an entirely new engine can cost $1 billion. Splitting those costs with another car company can save an automaker $500 million. A new transmission can easily cost $800 million -- or $400 million if the development costs are split.

Moreover, the onboard computers that control these components have a lot to do with how they operate, controlling things like shift timing and acceleration. Each automaker could create distinctive driving experiences using the same underlying components.

Such a move would not be unprecedented.

Ford and GM successfully collaborated on the development of a fuel-saving six-speed transmission that is rapidly becoming the backbone of both companies' powertrain lineup. Kuzak has pointed to the success of that program internally as something worth replicating.

Word of a possible collaboration between GM and Ford came as little surprise to analyst Jim Hall of 2953 Analytics LLP. Following the completion of the six-speed transmission tie-up two years ago, he gave GM CEO Rick Wagoner and other senior executives a presentation demonstrating the benefits of working with Ford on other powertrain technologies. He remains convinced that it represents a real opportunity for both companies to control research-and-development costs while accelerating the introduction of new, more fuel-efficient cars and trucks.

"The transmission deal has worked well for both companies," Hall said. "I told them, 'Don't stop there.'"

He said GM is ahead of Ford on four-cylinder engine development, but added that GM could learn a lot from Ford about combining turbo-charging and direct injection -- the technologies behind its EcoBoost technology, which promises to deliver more power and better fuel economy.

Electric technology useful

Then there is Volt, GM's promised vehicle that runs primarily on electricity.

While it remains to be seen whether GM will succeed in bringing it to market, Ford is reportedly keen on getting access to the technology if it does. And Hall said that is something GM should welcome.

"I would think that would be part of it and, if GM is smart, they will proliferate Volt technology," he said.

Doing so would provide GM with much needed revenue while at the same time reducing its own piece-cost for Volt components. It would be a way for GM to create economies of scale not possible with its own products alone, and would ultimately reduce the cost of such technology for consumers.

"Ford has more experience in getting the costs down, and that could really help GM," Hall said.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

So Ford's buying GM?
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

No, Ford doesn't have the resources for that.

GM has almost $50 billion in cash and other available resources. Ford has about 1/3 that much.

It would be a consortium type deal. This has been done before but at a lower level. If anything it benefits Ford in that they need some kind of electrification strategy and that's been lacking. For its part GM gets Ford's experience at production cost cutting.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 August 2008, 05:51.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

It certainly would be good news for both of them; and they need it.

I hope the German automakers have their own electrification plans, and are just keeping quiet about them.

Comment

BMW makes engines with Renault already, most of the european constructors are pretty much trying to hold up together.

The US has been lacking technological innovation in the Engine area since the 2nd world war.
          They still have high performance engines with a single, central, camshaft...and only 2 valves per cyliner.
          There might be some high performance parts with 4 valves per cylinder and DOHC, but they are just that.
          high performance. High fuel consumption...

Even in europe we have been gradually getting the engines bigger...
          I really don't see why anything over a 3L V6 is being produced...a 3L V8 could just about be useful for extreme smoothness, but the power is unneeded.

I mean, just as an example, we are seeing more and more of big 4x4's, with 5L diesels, (VW) or at the very least a V6, 2.5L diesel.
          BMW X5's are everywhere, so are the X3's...all of the the 3L Diesel...

My passat 1.8L has enough power to get it to 200+Kph no problem, with 4 people onboard and a full boot....and it only does 8L/100Km...
          My Ford Mondeo V6 2.5L isn't able to go under 10L/100Km, even when I drive at under 2000rpm all the time...

Anyhoo, Ford and GM together can only be good for the industry, and spreading the costs...
          Just don't make the same cars with a different badge, people won't buy one of them...
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
            It certainly would be good news for both of them; and they need it.

I hope the German automakers have their own electrification plans, and are just keeping quiet about them.

BMW has already built a hydrogen/electric hybrid, and that's where they are banking the future. Their electric engine works from the transmission last I heard. They already air commericals in the US touting their hydrogen based engine.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
              The US has been lacking technological innovation in the Engine area since the 2nd world war.
              They still have high performance engines with a single, central, camshaft...and only 2 valves per cyliner.
              There might be some high performance parts with 4 valves per cylinder and DOHC, but they are just that.
              high performance. High fuel consumption...
              Did you just pull this statement out of the air. Can you even name one engine that is still cam in block in a production vehicle since 2000?
              Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Just for the record: GM is building a $250 million plant in Flint Michigan for production of their European "family 0" engines (wiki article here) which were developed by Opel. One of these, the 1.4L normally aspirated 4 banger, will power the range extender for the Volt and other E-Flex vehicles. Others will also be produced for high mileage compacts & subcompacts.

Also: the writer of this article seems to still hold to the notion that GM may not actually produce Volt/E-Flex vehicles. He's very wrong. GM's board has already approved the move to production and they are building the supporting facilities to make it happen. One is that family 0 plant in Flint. Another is a tooling/stamping facility nearby that is as we speak getting its presses and forming machines.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
                  BMW has already built a hydrogen/electric hybrid, and that's where they are banking the future. Their electric engine works from the transmission last I heard. They already air commericals in the US touting their hydrogen based engine.
                  Hydrogen is not a fuel. It is a storage technology for electrical energy. BMW's hydrogen powered cars are, from what I've read (it's been a while) LESS environmentally friendly than their ordinary gasoline powered cars.

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
                    Hydrogen is not a fuel. It is a storage technology for electrical energy. BMW's hydrogen powered cars are, from what I've read (it's been a while) LESS environmentally friendly than their ordinary gasoline powered cars.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...5?s_name=Autos
                    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I believe it's the Icelanders who have been building solar panel powered electrolyzers for H2 vehicles. Those and nuclear plants are currently the only carbon free way to use H2 in cars either buy burning or in fuel cells. Down the road biological or improved catalytic means may get to market, but for now they're still pie in the sky.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by gt40 View Post
                        Did you just pull this statement out of the air. Can you even name one engine that is still cam in block in a production vehicle since 2000?

From what I'd understood, most big block v8's are still central cam...

If i'm wrong, then I apologise for pulling that out of my arse.
                        Fits of sanity do remind me from time to time that not all americans drive v8's...
                        Last edited by Evildead666; 6 August 2008, 11:29.
                        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Only things left that are cam in block are the diesels. Mostly everything else has gone overhead cam - with the performance versions getting the dual overhead cams. Some cars as early as 1993, with pretty well most changed over by 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by gt40 View Post
                            Only things left that are cam in block are the diesels. Mostly everything else has gone overhead cam - with the performance versions getting the dual overhead cams. Some cars as early as 1993, with pretty well most changed over by 2000.
                            Eh?
                            Isn't GM's newest (2005), most powerful, small block V-8 a cam-in-block design?
                            I think it is a new design entirely and it uses push-rods.

Chevrolet has recently introduced the 2006 Corvette Z06: it is the fastest, most powerful car ever offered by Chevrolet and General Motors. Optionally equipped with the all-new LS7 engine, the ’06 Z06 reintroduces the 427-cubic-inch displacement to the Corvette lineup. Unlike the previous 427 engine, which was a big-block design, the new 7.0-litre LS7 is a small-block V8 – the largest-displacement small-block ever produced by GM.

With 500 horsepower and 475 ft-lb of torque, it also is the most powerful passenger car engine ever produced by Chevrolet and GM. The LS7 is easily identified under the hood by red engine covers with black lettering.
                            And still With Pushrods!

With the LS7, GM engineers have achieved a feat many speculated was not possible. The new OHV (overhead valve) V8 will not only achieve 500 horsepower but will be capable of running up to 7100 rpm. The previous limit was 6600 rpm in the 6.0-litre LS2.
                            With this new engine GM is showing multi-valve overhead cam performance is achievable with a two-valve cam-in-block engine. For the new ZO6, higher rpm allows the driver to remain in first gear to just over 60 mph, contributes to higher top speed and improves overall vehicle performance. The LS7 is one of the first automotive OHV production engines in the industry capable of over 7000 rpm.

Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Yup, the Z06 has pushrods - titanium pushrods, but still pushrods. So do all of the big blocks. These engines are not high revvers and so don't really "need" overhead cams. Even with this "disadvantage" these engines are now capable of 100hp/liter.

All that said GM was retooling their Tonawanda Engine Plant to produce a Northstar DOHC V8 for luxury cars (Cadillac etc.), due to enter production in 2009, but it was canceled last January because it turned out their 3.6:L V6 produced about the same power but was lighter and got better mileage.

Now with the increases in gas prices and their move to smaller ICE's, electrified vehicles (Volt etc.) and 2-mode hybrids they are moving strongly towards their Family 0/1/2 and other SOHC and DOHC engines. Flint, Michigan is getting a $250 million factory just for building the Opel-designed Family 0 engines.
                              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 August 2008, 14:52.
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X