Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seamless remote desktop

Hello,

Is there a way to get a applications on a remote Windows machine to appear "seamless" in the client?

The remote machine is XP, the client is Vista, and I would like to access some applications on that remote machine, but without seeing its desktop.
    Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

You can resize the remote desktop application to the remote app's size.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Yes... this means running the application full screen... But it also only allows you to run one single application. It would be nice to have a remote X-Windows like system...

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

VMWare does this now... *grin*

But in General the answer is no, unless you can redirect the display which is different from RDP and hard to do under Windows.

Citrix also does what you're looking for.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Well, I have found that it is possible with rdesktop as a client, but it requiers the client to run Linux. I also found this, but don't think it is very stable...

How does VMWare do it? (the xp computers I connect to are running on vmware server 1.0.6)

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
            How does VMWare do it? (the xp computers I connect to are running on vmware server 1.0.6)
            With a feature called "Unity", which first showed up in VMWare Fusion for the Mac, and is now in the latest betas of VMWare Workstation. I presume it will make its way into server betas soon.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Interesting...

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

And Soon(tm) VMWare will do it through "webapp" or "thinapp" or some such. The tech guys from VMWare were in talking about it, essentially it'll run a guest app without running the guest OS itself, which is crazy voodoo magic. Unity just runs the OS hidden and lets you bust out apps onto the desktop renderer of the host OS.

Comment

Using the recently purchased Thinstall tech no doubt.
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
                    And Soon(tm) VMWare will do it through "webapp" or "thinapp" or some such. The tech guys from VMWare were in talking about it, essentially it'll run a guest app without running the guest OS itself, which is crazy voodoo magic. Unity just runs the OS hidden and lets you bust out apps onto the desktop renderer of the host OS.
                    I wouldn't call it voodoo magic: Wine does something similar... but it would indeed be a huge leap forward!

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

Citrix application environment is what you want.

Comment

Server 2008 will stream applications as well out of the box (remotely hosted and remotely run, but displaying locally on the client): the only catch being you need a Terminal Services CAL for each client using the streamed application... Microsoft Licensed most of the tech from Citrix.

Database servers are going to see some transformations as a result of all this...
                        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

It is just for home use, so the Citrix and Server2008 are a bridge too far...

But thanks!

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

Yeah Citrix, Vmware, server 2008 IS overkill for what you want... but what you want for the most part requires a high end solution. We are getting there though...

Maxivista MIGHT do what you want. http://maxivista.com/. I'm having issues with it because it seems to have issues playing nice with Vista x64. I know a few people that swear by the program though and I think you can drag a program from one screen to the other. If you're not near the computer in question though you might have to start it up by using something like Remote Desktop/Logmein/VNC and then dragging the program over.
                            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Claymonkey: Euhm, that is something totally different... The idea was to run remote applications as if it was a local application (thus not within its own desktop environment). For the purpose you describe, I have used ZoneScreen, and Synergy (not exactly the same, but has its uses too).

Jörg
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X