• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding HD which has a primary partition

WinNT 4 SP5.

I currently have 2 hard drives.

Drive 1 has primary and 3 additional logical partitions

Drive 2 has a primary partition only (my old drive which I left in case I needed to get back to my old Win98 config).

The drive letters are currently
    C: - Drive 1
    D: - Drive 2
    E,F,G Drive 1.

I now need to access data on another drive which already has a primary and another partition. If I just plug it in then the primary partition will cause the drive letters to shiffle up (primary partitions always appear first - hence C and D at the moment) which will probably upset everything

I have partition Magic 4, but I'd need to boot into NT first to run it - wouldn't I - Any DOS support in PM4 ?.

Question is can I get rid of the primary partition (I don't need to boot from this ever again) without loosing the data. I'm no whizz with FDISK and really don't want to destroy the data on this other drive.

I really want it to appear as

C: - Drive 1 }
    D: - Drive 2 } Same as now.
    E,F,G - Drive 1. }

H,I - other drive I want to add.

I've sensibly renamed my CD and CDRW to R: and W: to keep them out of the way.
    Warning: Sigs may seriously damage your health...

Martin, yes, PM4 has a DOS executable...it always has. If I was home, I'd boot up my cd and tell you the name of it, but I'm not... I do know that if you did a custom install, you had the option not to install it--- I don't know if it is part of the typical install.

In all other versions it's been right in the PM folder.. if the Windows .exe is named "PQmagic.exe" look for the .exe with a similar name but with some indication that it's a DOS or text program... that's what I remember about the naming scheme of previous versions.

But if you're only going to do this once, why is the temporary re-shuffle a problem (I know it's annoying)?

I think IceStorm is right... unplug both your current drives, plug in the new drive, boot from it, save the data onto a CD-R and then pull the 3rd drive out again.

It's really not worth futzing around with it all that much, if you're not going to be using the drive on a long-term basis.

just my 0.02

----------------------
    Holly

Comment

I once managed to get a hard drive to appear after the cr roms. It happened by accident as i hadn't enabled the channel for the drive in the bios. The drive still worked but it came up as the last letter on the computer rather than the second as it normally would. You could try this.

------------------
      p3 450@600. bx6 ver 2. 128mb unbranded pc100. iwill 2930u scsi, diamond pro pci modem, advansys 1505 isa scsi, SB Live!, pioneer dvd103s, hollywood plus dvd card, plextor 40x cd rom, ricoh 1420 cdr, ibm 13.5gb @ 7200rpm, G400 @ max settings. All wrapped up in a big case with loads of fans. Belinea 10 30 40 17" monitor

1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
      Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
      Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

I thought under NT you can specify the drive letters. I can't check this at the moment since I'm 98 downloading a large file but I'll let you know.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
        X