• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man decapitated outside of Winnipeg

and no, it wasn't me.

Man stabbed, decapitated on bus bound for Winnipeg

Updated Thu. Jul. 31 2008 8:17 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A young man travelling on a Greyhound bus bound for Winnipeg late Wednesday was stabbed to death and then decapitated in what appears to be a random act of violence, witnesses said.

According to passengers on the bus, the victim, between the ages of 18 to 20, was sleeping with his head against the window when the attack occurred.

"He was listening to music when suddenly the person next to him began to stab him in the neck with... a large butcher knife," CTV's Murray Oliver reported Thursday from Winnipeg, Man.

Garnet Caton, who was sitting in front of the victim, heard the commotion and turned around thinking he was going to witness a fight.

Caton told CTV News that once he realized what was going on he screamed: "Stop the bus, somebody's getting stabbed, everyone get the hell off."

The bus driver pulled over on a section of the east-bound Trans-Canada Highway -- about 15 kilometres west of Portage la Prairie, Man -- and many of the 37 passengers began to flee the bus.

Canton gathered a small group of people to go back and help the victim, said Oliver.

"They returned to the back of the bus to find that the person who was stabbing the person in the neck had now sawed off the head of (the victim)."

The man, with the head in one hand and the butcher knife in the other, then tried to attack the other passengers, said Oliver.

The group was able to exit the bus and slammed the door behind them.

The man then stabbed the door with his knife but was unable to break through and get off the bus. Eventually, he attempted to start up the bus to drive away but the operator had hit a switch, disabling the vehicle.

Oliver said a truck driver then arrived at the scene and handed out wrenches and crowbars to several men. The small group gathered around the door to the bus and prevented the man from exiting until police arrived.

RCMP eventually arrested the man after a standoff lasting several hours, said Oliver.

Witnesses said the suspect was tall, large and wearing sunglasses, even though it was dark.

The bus was travelling from Edmonton to Winnipeg.

The RCMP and Greyhound officials have confirmed that a "major incident" took place on the bus but few details have officially been released.
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

I heard it on the radio this morning.. I'm not sure what to think.. it sounds soo unreal
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

To me, it screams mental illness.
      Totally unreal though...
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

He was probably snoring
        "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Don’t see no reason to “capture” him, he should be shut right on the spot for being to dangerous for society.

He may be sick alright, but after what he did, there is no cure to fix him……..

Is there a Death Penalty Canada? Because if there isn’t, they should’ve light the bus on fire, cheaper to buy a new bus.

Anyway, the world just has to end one of these days.

All we need is someone like that behind the Nuke launch button...... .

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX View Post
            He was probably snoring

I think this joke is out of place a little, no?

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Well, this part isn't a joke:
              Caton told CTV News that once he realized what was going on he screamed: "Stop the bus, somebody's getting stabbed, everyone get the hell off."
              People did what they do best - run away.
              "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

If he is truly sick, I say study him and find out WHY this happened so we can try and prevent it. Killing him as a deterrent would be useless, I somehow doubt he was thinking of the consequences when this happened.

No, there is no death penalty here.

I have family in Brandon that uses Greyhound buses to shuttle back and forth between WPG and BRN... this is all a little too close for comfort.

Comment

If Margie or I'd been on the bus we would have busted a cap or five on the SOB

(Yes, it would have been perfectly legal in Michigan under our "no retreat" and "Castle Doctrine" laws which extend self-defense to the defense of others, even outside the home in the public square)
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 31 July 2008, 10:41.
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

You and your wife carry guns with you?

Comment

3 strange deaths here in Manitoba lately.
                      15 year old got a truck load of hot asphalt dumped on him.
                      Man was found dead in a barrel in Lee River (suspected drug dealer).
                      And now this.

Comment

Jason must have taken a vacation there

CNN story....

Interview & video here... (CREEPY!! - the guy was carrying around the head)

Bus passenger beheaded seat mate, witness says

(CNN) -- As horrified travelers watched, a Greyhound Canada bus passenger repeatedly stabbed and then decapitated the young man sitting beside him, who was sleeping with his head leaning against the window, a witness said Thursday.

"There was a blood-curdling scream. I was just reading my book, and all of a sudden I heard it," said Garnet Caton, who was sitting in front of the two men.

"It was like something between a dog howling and a baby crying, I guess you could say. I don't think it will leave me for a while."

Caton said he shouted at the other passengers, many of whom also were sleeping, to leave.

"Everybody got off the bus. Me and a trucker that stopped and the Greyhound driver ran up to the door to maybe see if the guy was still alive or we could help or something like that," Caton told CNN.

"And when we all got up, we saw that the guy was cutting off the guy's head. ... When he saw us, he came back to the front of the bus, told the driver to shut the door. He pressed the button and the door shut, but it didn't shut in time, and the guy was able to get his knife out and take a swipe at us," Caton said.

The incident happened late Wednesday west of Portage la Prairie, Manitoba, but a standoff between the attacker and police lasted into early Thursday.

The bus was traveling along the Trans-Canada Highway from Edmonton, Alberta, to Winnipeg, Manitoba, and was about 45 minutes from its destination when the attack occurred, said Greyhound spokeswoman Abby Wambaugh in Dallas, Texas.
                        Witnesses told Canadian TV that the attacker was wielding a butcher-type knife. They said the trucker who stopped provided wrenches and crowbars to several of the men, who were able to keep the suspect on the bus until police came. After the standoff, police took the man into custody.

Wambaugh declined to comment further, except to "confirm that there was an incident on one of our buses."
                        "I don't want to compromise the investigation," she told CNN.

The incident occurred on the first of two Greyhound Canada buses that were traveling together, she said. The bus was carrying 37 passengers. As many passengers as possible among those not directly involved in the incident were transferred to the second bus, she said.

Others were taken to a hotel in Brandon, where they were met by Greyhound managers and police, Wambaugh said.

Once they are released, Greyhound will take them by bus to Winnipeg, and "we will do whatever is required to help them -- and that includes counseling," she added.
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 31 July 2008, 11:09.
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

News conference here (WPG) at 2pm Central (43 minutes from now).

Comment

Working...
                          X