• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asimov's"Foundation" (2011)

Hollywood Reporter link....

Shaye, Lynne on for 'Foundation'

Producers on board for Isaac Asimov's sci-fi epic

Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne are looking to the future -- literally.

The New Line founders-turned-producers have signed on to produce their first project since they received their post-New Line deal at Warners, boarding an adaptation of Isaac Asimov's futuristic sci-fi epic "Foundation" that they'll produce through their Unique Features banner.

Warners recently picked up "Foundation," which had been in development at Fox. Vince Gerardis, who had been attached as a producer in the Fox incarnation, will remain on board as a producer for the Warners project with Shaye and Lynne.

"Foundation" is based on Asimov's "Foundation Trilogy," which centers on a society that has figured out how to predict the future based on a method called psychohistory and sets up a foundation devoted to scientific research to protect itself and ensure its survival.

The politically inflected work, which features such characters as the prophetic Hari Seldon and a villain called the Mule, spans hundreds of years, essentially tracking the rise and fall of civilizations. Each book contains a new set of characters, which has in the past prompted some development execs to say they consider it a difficult work to adapt for the screen.

Shaye and Lynne's goal is to adapt the first book for now, and, if it's successful, potentially follow the New Line "Lord of the Rings" template by developing adaptations down the road of the second and third books.

Calling the trilogy "one of the things I've had close to my heart" since he read the books as a young man, Shaye said the project had as its goal locating and creating an audience for the Asimov classic. "Our idea to renew the worldwide audience's appetite for the story," he said.

Shaye noted that the books' political themes, particularly its focus on the rise and fall of empires, give the movie a geopolitical relevance. But he also said their complexity would cause the company to move forward carefully. "This is not a script you can knock out in six months," he said.

Science fiction is a genre in which the duo and New Line had dabbled, most notably in recent years with "The Last Mimzy," the sci-fi family tale that Shaye directed.

Shaye and Lynne exited the Warner fold this year as part of Time Warner's absorption of New Line. This month, the pair announced the formation of Unique, a production company with a three-year, first-look deal at Warners. The goal is to produce two or three movies per year, with Warners handling marketing and distribution.

Hollywood has found Asimov a difficult writer to adapt to film because his books tend to incorporate philosophical themes as much as action elements. Still, the loose adaptation of his "I, Robot" collection of stories turned into a $340 million global hit for Fox in 2004.

Fox, which adapted the whole trilogy as one standalone script (perhaps in a bid to counteract development obstacles), had attached several individuals who had worked on an earlier Asimov adaptation. In addition to Gerardis, who produced "I, Robot," Jeff Vintar, who penned the screenplay to that film, was attached to pen the "Foundation" screenplay. Vintar has said in interviews that he was focusing on the latter parts of the trilogy, which span a more limited period of time, to make the Fox project more manageable.

Shaye said that the ambition of the "Foundation" project makes it the right movie to kick off the Unique slate. "This epitomizes the movies we want to make, not the movies that ought to be made to fill a slate or movies that repeat an old formula," he said.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

i don't know what to say really I practically grew up on Asimov, i hope they do justice to his work.

The Foundation series has a very wide scope and Asimov wrote a few novels so as to link his Robot and Empire series into the Foundation's universe. There's a lot of material to make good science fiction movies from his books. But i can only recall a couple of movies made; The Bi-centennial Man with Robin Williams and the I, Robot was loosely based on the novel of the same name but i don't think there are any others. of course I am not forgetting the Raquel Welch starrer The Fantastic Voyage but that was a novelisation of the movie by Asimov even though the novel was published before the movie was shown.

In any case i am looking forward to this movie
    Last edited by Belwarrior; 29 July 2008, 21:00.
    Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
    ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Working...
    X