Hot plug PCIe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot plug PCIe

Do most pcie devices support hotplugging?

I know it was rare on PCI.

Originally posted by Fluff View Post
    Do most pcie devices support hotplugging?

I know it was rare on PCI.

Did PCI ever under any kind of situation support hotpluging?
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

ive seen an AGP video card be hotswapped with the exact same make and model card. Scary precedent...
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

yes , both windows(since 200) and linux support it.

first link pcig, second MS and third is linux

however I only really heard about it ever working on server OS and hardware

The external add on graphic card upgrades for laptops might be PCIe hot plug.

according to this PCIe has native hot plug support

Articles, news, products, blogs and videos from undefined.

But I would check a bit deeper on any particualr gear you intend to hotplug, I would guess the use of external power connectors on PCIe video cards would cause issues with hotplugging

Comment

Yeah its in the spec, however it requires both the hardware on the motherboard, graphics board, and driver to support the feature. Almost nobody does.

Comment

Working...
          X