2010 Camaro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Camaro

My note: this 5th generation Camaro is a rear drive, meaning that if they want to they could use the 2-mode hybrid tranny in it. If they do look for the city mileage numbers to go up by at least 50%. In the much larger Tahoe the 2-mode increased city mileage from 12 to 21 mpg.

(more pics below)

Link....

2010 Camaro is '21st Century sports car'

Chevrolet unveiled its long-awaited production version of the 2009 Chevrolet Camaro sports car Monday in the dome in Warren where it was designed, next to historic GM vehicles -- the '50 Corvette Stingray, the '51 LeSabre and the 1969 Camaro -- whose league it hopes to join.

General Motors Corp. believes there is still an ample market for the all-new Camaro, despite the fact that the U.S. consumer's preference has changed dramatically to favor fuel-efficient cars and crossovers and smaller engines since the automaker revealed the concept version in 2006 to compete in the muscle car segment.

“The new Camaro is the 21st century sports car,” said Chevrolet General Manager Ed Peper. “It is a driver’s vehicle, but at the same time a technological tour de force.”

Peper said GM knows the market has changed and believes the new Camaro will appeal to a large segment of buyers when it goes on sale next spring or summer: from traditional enthusiasts to people with more modern interests in technology and fuel economy.

The V6 version of the 3,700-pound vehicle has 304 horsepower and is expected to get 26 to 27 miles per gallon on the highway, Peper said. The V8 has 422 horsepower and is expected to get 23 mpg on the highway.

The question, analysts say, is whether that will be enough to add to the enthusiast ranks to raise the number of Camaro buyers to a large enough number for it to count as a success for GM.

"Since they launched it in 2006, there are other technologies that have emerged as the hot new product," said analyst Kevin Tynan of Argus Research. "I think they just missed the window. The lead time from drawing room to showroom was just too long. I would be surprised if it sells well enough to warrant a redesign."

But Jim Hall, managing director of 2953 Analytics, said the secret will be to squeeze a few more miles per gallon out of the vehicle.

For example, he said, 26 mpg may not be enough to get people on the fence into the car, but 28 mpg might be.

Still Peper is confident that there are enough consumers interested in the car that the combination of old-school muscle-car styling, new technology and fuel economy will make the car a success.

More than 600,000 consumers have indicated an interest in the vehicle to GM, said Peper, who doesn't believe the sports car segment has been fully tapped by the Ford Mustang and Chrysler Challenger.

"A vehicle like this is a very emotional purchase," Peper said. "At the same time, there are many rational reasons to purchase this vehicle, including fuel economy."

Production of the vehicle is set to begin Feb. 16 in Oshawa, Ont. GM has not yet released the pricing for the vehicle, but Peper said "it will be the best value in the sports-car segment."

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 July 2008, 17:09.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Windows too small (looks like a tank, not like a sports car), steering wheel looks off-centered, front grill "V" shape is too pronounced. Pics of the concept looked better to me. And now that Dogbert mentions it, the dashboard is really ugly (and I'm not so sure about the tail lights as well).
    Last edited by az; 23 July 2008, 11:47.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I hate the dashboard.
      "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Gahh, I didnt think anything could be fuglier than the ford mustang 2007 (the one they used to make the new FUBAR Knight rider) but this takes the cake
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Tastes change once you cross the atlantic
          It's very retro which is good , but the dash and the front grill need to go.
          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

My bro-in-law Wally likes it because it's modelled after the '69, which is his favorite. I would have liked something closer to the '70 1/2 - '73 model line in styling.

Maybe for 2010.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by gt40 View Post
              Tastes change once you cross the atlantic
              It's very retro which is good , but the dash and the front grill need to go.
              OTOH: I really like the 2009 Challenger

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

That steering wheel is just wrong...

The Challenger looks better to me
                PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

anyone notice the gentleman's smile mimics the grille on the vehicle?
                  Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Yeah, the '09 Challenger is sweet. I always thought it would be fun to take a classic Challenger and shoehorn a Viper V10 into it. Make a nice stock-looking sleeper that would blow the doors off all comers.

If I ever won the lottery I'd blow a lot of cash on crazy experiments like that.

Kevin

Comment

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T with a 440 Magnum & a white paint job
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 July 2008, 15:02.
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Chevy's stylists should be beaton with a creativity hammer. The Mustang and challenger/charger are sooooo much better looking.

Comment

Ugly as sin.

I agree the newer 'Stang is better looking, and the new 'Cuda is WAY better looking.

I predict horrible failure for this monstrosity.
                          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

The original Camaro had a simple design principle: one inch lower, longer, and wider than the Mustang. I wonder how this compares to the '09 'stang?

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                            X