Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dark Knight" madness

The numbers tell the story;

"The Dark Knight" will be showing in 4,366 theaters in North America, more screens than any movie in history.

Fandango.com, one of the largest online ticket-sellers, says TDK accounted for 94 percent of all tickets sold this week.

More than 1,600 showtimes in 400 cities are sold out and many will be showing it 24 hours for at least the opening day.

Because of the sellouts scalpers have been getting as much as $150/ticket across the nation.

The midnight showing Friday cleared $18.5 million all by itself, a new record.

Estimates are that the first-day Friday record of $59.8 million (Spider-Man 3) has been topped with TDK gathering in at least $65 million.

To set a new box office record for an opening weekend it needs $151,116,516 (Spider-Man 3), and many in the entertainment media predict just that.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 July 2008, 04:24.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I saw an estimate of 155 million.

I'm leaving to go see it in about 4 minutes
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Well it passed Spider-Man 3 so it must be good

Comment

$155.38 million is the studio estimate. And a 94% on the Rotten Tomato meter:

With the help of allies Lt. Jim Gordon (Gary Oldman) and DA Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart), Batman (Christian Bale) has been able to keep a tight lid on crime in Gotham City. But when a vile young criminal calling himself the Joker (Heath Ledger) suddenly throws the town into chaos, the caped Crusader begins to tread a fine line between heroism and vigilantism.

I'll have to check this one out. How did you like it Doc?
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Loved it, as did the family - we make a movie outing about every 3 weeks with some 20+ of us (Marge & I, our 3 grown kids & their spouses + their kids) and the feeling was unanimous.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Awesome movie. A+. A little long. Not that it dragged out, or there were parts that I wished they omitted; it was just maybe 20 minutes too long.

Bottom line: it exceeded my expectations, and Heath Ledger (I totally forgot it was even him once the movie got going) was perfect.
            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

Cool, it goes to show that both Marvel and DC are putting a ton of effort in their movies.

Excellent work!

Comment

Going to watch it on sunday
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

holy $hit

a 9.6 rating at IMDB is insane.
                  Maybe I should find a babysitter and go to the movies for the first time in a year
                  We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Another new record;

Fastest to $200 million: $203 million in 5 days, beating "Dead Mans Chest" by 3 full days.

Total as of day 6: $222,150,806

Talked to a friend who works at a local multiplex theater; last weekend they had 14 theaters open 24 hours and they had to make arrangements with the home center next door to use their parking lot - theirs was overflowing. She also says they're holding onto their hats for this weekend, planning on canceling other movie showings in case they have to add showings of TDK over and above their initial game plan of showing it every 30 minutes.
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 July 2008, 12:12.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I was thinking of going to see it AGAIN, but I don't like being in the theatre for 2.5 hour movies.
                      So I downloaded a cam version; I figure I've already paid to see it once

Comment

Nice thing about our local theaters is that most of 'em have premium seating: recliners with cup holders and snack trays built in
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

recliners?! wow!
                          Curious; how much do they charge per ticket?

Comment

$5 for matinée and $11 for prime-time. Cutoff is 3:00 pm IIRC and all screens are big DLP's. Exceedingly bright, sharp pictures.

Those recliners are comfortable too....well padded with arms etc. Not too unlike the "theater seats" sold for home theater installations.

They also have 10-12 centered seats across a walkway at about the 10th row for handicappers and spaces for wheelchairs.
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 July 2008, 19:44.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Seeing the movie only reminded me of the talent we have lost in H. Ledger.
                              Bale and Ledger are two of the best consumate method actors of their generation and we have lost the chance to see them together again. Worth watching TDK again anytime
                              Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                              ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Working...
                              X