Stuck in legacy free hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck in legacy free hell

We received one of those legacy free pc's for repair and we have some major headache with it.

It won't automatically install either our usb keyboard or our usb mouse because it prompts us to click next to continue, and since we have no working input devices it's rather hard to do.

Is there any registry settings we can tweak to force windows to install the devices?

(my Google powers are weak atm )
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

1. Can you enter the BIOS on the board with the USB keyboard?
    2. Which Windows are you trying to install?
    3. If the answer for Q1 is Yes, check whether your bios has something for keyboard setup/emulation maybe?
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
      It won't automatically install either our usb keyboard or our usb mouse because it prompts us to click next to continue, and since we have no working input devices it's rather hard to do.
      We are not trying to install windows, we are trying to get an USB mouse/keyboard to work in windows. we did manage to get past the logon screen with regedit, (setting autologon) but we are stuck at theclick on next to install drivers prompt.
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Still doesn't answer my question Technoid.
        When you boot the computer, can you access the bios setup with the usb keyboard?
        "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Enable remote desktop (you can edit registry from another computer in Regedit), then remote into the PC from another machine, connect keyboard, click next on remote machine.

Comment

There should be an option in the BIOS to enable legacy keyboard support with the USB mouse/key. That normally works until you get into windows.

Sometimes if you let Windows sit there long enough it will install the USB keyboard after 4-5 minutes ... sometimes.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Must have a fancy keyboard or mouse then.
              We had some Dells with that problem and found that only two sets of usb ports would work. The others wouldn't even pick up the drivers. There wasn't a legacy option in the bios.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

UtwigMU: I was thinking the very same...

Regarding usb ports not picking up the keyboard: be sure to try the ports on the atx panel.

Can't you connect a ps/2 keyboard? (but I thought all bioses had legacy usb support)

Jorg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX View Post
                  Still doesn't answer my question Technoid.
                  When you boot the computer, can you access the bios setup with the usb keyboard?
                  Weird, my last post should have had a lot more text, where the **** did it go?!?!

As it should also have said in my last post;

Tried both with emulation on and off doesn't make a difference since detection is not the problem, problem is that windows wont load drivers to the units until we stepped through the "install driver guide". which we can't do since we have no active input device
                  Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                  Enable remote desktop (you can edit registry from another computer in Regedit), then remote into the PC from another machine, connect keyboard, click next on remote machine.
                  THANKS

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
                  There should be an option in the BIOS to enable legacy keyboard support with the USB mouse/key. That normally works until you get into windows.

Sometimes if you let Windows sit there long enough it will install the USB keyboard after 4-5 minutes ... sometimes.
                  Unless you get a "install drivers wizzard/guide" with a next button you have to click

Originally posted by The PIT View Post
                  Must have a fancy keyboard or mouse then.
                  We had some Dells with that problem and found that only two sets of usb ports would work. The others wouldn't even pick up the drivers. There wasn't a legacy option in the bios.
                  It's one of those $9 usb keyboard that don't have any extra keys.

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                  UtwigMU: I was thinking the very same...

Regarding usb ports not picking up the keyboard: be sure to try the ports on the atx panel.

Can't you connect a ps/2 keyboard? (but I thought all bioses had legacy usb support)

Jorg
                  No physical ps/2 ports, and the USB keyboard works fine in bios, dos, WindowsPE, BartPE.

Comment

Not sure how desperate you are...but putting PCI card with additionall serial port and connecting old mouse should worj right? (assuming those cards are in fact autodetected by Win...which seems to be the problem anyway with this installation )

(yes, I habe no idea if it's worth trying)

Comment

that would probaby not do any diff, windows would still want me to "press Next" before actually activating anything....

The problem is that windows want user interaction before loading the drivers for the detected HW and since the input devices are some of those "new" devices I'm unable to give it any user response.

Comment

Hadn't figured that the legacy usb devices top working when windows loads (but it makes sense).

No ps/2 ports? Well, then use a DIN-5 keyboard!

But seriously:
                        Did the remote desktop connection work?

Jörg
                        pixar
                        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                          Hadn't figured that the legacy usb devices top working when windows loads (but it makes sense).
                          well, that's not the issue anyway.

No ps/2 ports? Well, then use a DIN-5 keyboard!

But seriously:
                          Did the remote desktop connection work?

Jörg
                          xp home, gahhh, but I'll install vnc on it, that should work, runonce is a great way to get stuff installed

Comment

When I had to do this I would have to stop the computer from logging in. If no user ever logged in Windows would eventually, most of the time, install the USB key/mouse after about 3-5 minutes.

Of course that would be difficult with no working left Shift key...
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
                              When I had to do this I would have to stop the computer from logging in. If no user ever logged in Windows would eventually, most of the time, install the USB key/mouse after about 3-5 minutes.

Of course that would be difficult with no working left Shift key...
                              Since we caused it to autologin because we thought that, would get it to detect the mouse/keyboard (which it also did, just that it has the throws up the wizard), we can easilly get it to not autologon by just changing the regsettings.

If I can't get VNC to work I'll try it

Comment

Working...
                              X