• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boeing to build "SkyHook" heavy lift airship

Link....

Image below....

SkyHook will be able to transport 40 tons 200 miles without refueling

Boeing and SkyHook International have announced that they intend to team up for a new aircraft called the JHL-40 (Jess Heavy Lifter). The JHL-40 is a new commercial heavy lift aircraft that is intended to transport equipment and materials in remote and harsh regions such as Alaska or the Canadian Arctic.

Boeing will build the JHL-40 neutrally buoyant rotorcraft for SkyHook, which will own, maintain and operate the JHL-40 for commercial clients.

The aircraft utilizes a helium filled envelope that provides enough lift to make the JHL-40 aircraft, engines, and crew neutrally buoyant. The four rotors will generate lift that is only needed to support the payload. According to Boeing and SkyHook, the JHL-40 will be able to lift loads as heavy as 40 tons and transport them up to 200 miles without refueling.

President and CEO of SkyHook Pete Jess said in a statement, “There is a definite need for this technology. The list of customers waiting for SkyHook's services is extensive, and they enthusiastically support the development of the JHL-40. Companies have suggested this new technology will enable them to modify their current operational strategy and begin working much sooner on projects that were thought to be 15 to 20 years away.”

This Boeing-SkyHook technology represents an environmentally acceptable solution for these companies' heavy-lift short-haul challenges, and it's the only way many projects will be able to progress economically."

Boeing says that it will build two production JHL-40 aircraft at its Rotorcraft Systems facility in Ridley Park, Pa.

Boeing was in the news recently when it won its protest against Northrop Grumman’s EADS tanker deal.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 July 2008, 22:52.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I'd love to see more of these used than trucks on the road...

Not gonna be seeing any of these being hijacked either , lol
    Don't suppose it goes very fast ?
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Capacity: 40 tons (80,000 lbs / (36,250 kg)
      Loaded Range: 200 nautical miles (370 km)
      Speed: 70 kts
      Dimensions (LxWxH): 302 x 217 x 118 ft (92 x 66 x 36 m)
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

"SkyHook heavy lift airship"? - bleh, we all know everybody will just call them "Zeppelins" ;P

Comment

Zeppelins didn't have 4-rotorcraft power/maneuvering nor did they have the ability not to go up in flames
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Regarding second point - it's actually really a shame Hindenburg went up in flames and made hydrogen quite unfamous...because, from what I've read, hydrogen didn't relly contribute much to the disaster.

a) how does hydrogen start to burn when it's not mixed with oxygen? (and small leaks don't really mean much since it escapes up so rapidly)

b) hydrogen produces blue flame, flame of Hinderburg was orange/red

And it so happens that this is the color of flame that coating of Hinderburg can produce...coating which was essentially SRB rocket fuel

Too bad...hydrogen is more efficient and it's not so scarce as helium. (heck, when Poland is one of the largest producers of whatever, you know there's something not right ;P )

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere View Post
              ...(heck, when Poland is one of the largest producers of whatever, you know there's something not right ;P )
              Does that include migrant labour for the UK?
              FT.

Comment

70 knots = 129.64 Kph...

Thats actually bloody fast.
                Could very well replace trucks/lorries if you can get an easy coupling system set up for attaching/detaching the loads...
                PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
                X