Your Advice And Opinion Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Advice And Opinion Please

I have a 478 MOBO that has develped a problem in the bottom PCI slot. At first this has been intermittent and kept the PC from regular POSTing. Now it is permanent and would not recognize any board in that slot.

My question is; Is it likely that other slots will suffer the same fate ?
    Would it be best to change the MOBO now since 478s are difficult to find and will be more in the future ?

I'm using a A.I.W AGP capture card which I'm really fond of, otherwise I would have changed for a PCI-E MOBO.

Cheers.
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

The only way a single slot can go bad is if the pins have worn or are not connecting with the card. More than likely your device in that slot is having an IRQ conflict somewhere up the chain (depending on how old your computer is and what OS you are using). Back in the day fixing PCI interuppt problems meant swapping PCI cards for hours on end to find the perfect config that wouldn't bomb your system when gaming.

Thank god that crap is going away.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
      I have a 478 MOBO that has develped a problem in the bottom PCI slot. At first this has been intermittent and kept the PC from regular POSTing. Now it is permanent and would not recognize any board in that slot.

My question is; Is it likely that other slots will suffer the same fate ?
      Would it be best to change the MOBO now since 478s are difficult to find and will be more in the future ?

I'm using a A.I.W AGP capture card which I'm really fond of, otherwise I would have changed for a PCI-E MOBO.

Cheers.
      I'll hook you up with an awesome AGP mobo, cheap!
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
        The only way a single slot can go bad is if the pins have worn or are not connecting with the card. More than likely your device in that slot is having an IRQ conflict somewhere up the chain (depending on how old your computer is and what OS you are using). Back in the day fixing PCI interuppt problems meant swapping PCI cards for hours on end to find the perfect config that wouldn't bomb your system when gaming.

Thank god that crap is going away.
        Thanks guys, It is very likely that there is a contact problem on the slot since I had swaped cards and had the same problem. The board is AOpen and has only been used for about 8 months. It is the latest in the 478s and using WinXP.

I just went and bought Asrock P4i65G and keeping it as a backup. I only use that machine for an odd movie editing job.
        We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

Working...
        X