A better dog bowl - RECOMMENDED!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A better dog bowl - RECOMMENDED!!

First of all let me say I have no stake in these products.

Our dog Spike, a 110 lb horse of a dog, has a problem familiar to many dog owners: they eat so fast they make themselves sick, sometimes to the point of vomiting. We tried to manage this with smaller feedings, but even these would go down in one gulp and come up somewhere in the house a few minutes later. Same with water. Frustrating.

We found a solution; new bowl designs that force the dog to eat/drink slower by placing obstacles in their way. Works great

Gizmag has a articles on them today. While listed at about $25 each for the mid-sized ones we found them discounted in pet food chains for $15-$16. Worth every penny.

Brake-Fast bowl

Contec DrinkBetter bowl
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

We have freefed our 100++lbs dog since we got him at 8lbs.. he only eats when hungry and never so fast that he throws up. The few times he has thrown up, he has cleaned up after himself
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

You can also affect their eating rate by changing the kibble size though I suspect you're already at the largest available size for your horse.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Indeed we are using the largest kibble available, and Spike didn't respond well to free-feeding young or old. More to the point: he made an even bigger pig of himself, hence trying the new bowls. Of course like people dogs are individuals.

One of my favorite dogs was Roxy, a German Shepard we had in the 70's that topped out at 152 extremely muscular pounds. Smart as a whip, gentle and a big baby with the family & kids but don't even think of pulling any sh*t with her anywhere near - she'd eat you alive. We got her after that incident where I had to defend my dad from an intruder with deadly force.

Once a very vicious feral dog of about 50-60 lbs came into the barn yard and attacked her daughter Sassy, runt of her 10 pup litter. Roxy grabbed the intruder by the neck and shook him like a rag until he was dead. She then inspected Sassy to make sure she was OK then retreated to her dog house for a nap. Fortunately the feral dog wasn't rabid, just aggressive and probably dumped by city folk.

Here's an old pic of them

(yes, we had a hand pumped well under our porch with an electric pump that fed the house and a windmill pump on another well for irrigation);

Damned good guard dog.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 July 2008, 23:21.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
        X