Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Oil bubble" ready to burst?

PhysOrg article....

This figure shows the total world oil demand and supply (left scale) and the oil price (right scale) from 2004 to the first quarter of 2008. Data from: International Energy Agency and US Energy Information Administration

Are We in the Peak of an Oil Bubble?

Since 2003, worldwide oil prices have quadrupled. According to a new study, the price of oil is rising at a faster-than-exponential rate, and cannot be sustained. In other words, we’re in the midst of an oil bubble, say researchers Didier Sornette and Ryan Woodard of ETH Zurich in Switzerland and Wei-Xing Zhou of the East China University of Science and Technology in Shanghai, China.

By analyzing oil prices over the past four years, the researchers have demonstrated more support for the hypothesis that the recent oil price run-up has less to do with supply-demand interplay and more to do with speculation.

In their analysis, the team gathered data on oil prices since 2005 in US dollars, euros, and other major currencies (to confirm that the results are not a consequence of the weakening of the US dollar). They also examined worldwide oil supply and demand data, specifically investigating the extent of increased demand from emerging markets such as China and India.

Then, the researchers analyzed this data using a method that Sornette’s group started to develop in 1996 that identifies bubbles as “transient superexponential regimes” – basically, areas of rapid growth that occur due to a source of positive feedback within the system. The scientists looked at the data in the context of three different models, and all three models revealed the existence of a “log-periodic power law,” in mathematical terms – in other words, a bubble. In economic terms, the researchers explain, a bubble refers to a situation in which expectations of future price increases cause prices to temporarily rise without justification from fundamental valuation.

Further, the models showed that the bubble is close to a local peak, and we may have even reached the peak already. On the other hand, the researchers noted, this critical peak may also be embedded in a larger-scale bubble, one that could develop in the coming months and years.

“The most fundamental difficulties [in trying to describe oil prices] lie in the operational definition of a ‘bubble,’” Sornette told PhysOrg.com. “There is no consensus. One standard definition is ‘exponential growth of price.’ But exponential growth of price is normal in economics, because it just corresponds to a constant growth rate. Our definition is ‘faster-than-exponential' growth of the price, which is necessarily unsustainable.”

The team also identified several particular characteristics of oil price dynamics that may help researchers understand the causes of the bubble. First, in the years 2004 and 2005, worldwide supply, demand, and price all increased together. In early 2006, supply started to drop, followed a few months later by a drop in demand, and six months later by a drop in price.

Around this time, from mid-2006 to early 2007, supply and demand fluctuated. Then, supply, demand, and price rose together, and have been continuing to rise through the most recent data point, which was taken in early 2008.

A comparison of supply and demand showed that, most recently, supply has been exceeding demand by more than a half million barrels per day. Meanwhile, the price continues to increase. Since it appears that the supply-demand balance has only a small effect on the price of oil, the researchers suggest that a major effect lies elsewhere. They point out several reasons why speculation, fed on rumors of rising oil scarcity, may be the positive feedback causing high oil prices.

As one motivating factor, investors could be searching for a new high-return investment following the collapse of three recent economic bubbles in the US (communication technology, which peaked in 2000, real-estate in 2006, and sub-prime mortgage lending in 2007). Also, speculation may have increased due to the deregulation of oil futures in the US in early 2006, corresponding to the fluctuations that occurred shortly after that time. Investors may also be concerned about a weakening US dollar, which may encourage protective hedging against future oil price increases.

“I expect rather soon some calming with a correction of the price,” Sornette said when asked about his prediction of future oil prices. “But it seems that, for the medium term, one has to be bullish on oil.”

More information: Sornette, D.; Woodard, R.; and Zhou, W.-X. “The 2006-2008 Oil Bubble and Beyond.” Arxiv:0806.1170v2. 13 Jun 2008. Submitted to Physica A.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

All this adds up to us in North America needing to stop relying on foriegn oil, and start tapping back into resources we know are there in our own soil.

There are still hundreds (if not thousands) of pumps here in Colorado that stand motionless, while their owners are being paid by the government NOT to pump. Countless locations throughout the Gulf and all of N.A., where we KNOW there is oil, that the tree huggers and government are not allowing to be touched.

Tap into these resources, shoot the speculators, and watch gas prices drop 50%.

We are well into researching/developing alternative fuels/power sources. We'll be non-dependant on fossil fuels long before we run out. Pull the cork on our reserves, and save our economy. I know I'm not the only one who can't keep spending 15-20% of my pay on foriegn fuel sources.
    Last edited by Kruzin; 7 July 2008, 22:21.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin View Post
      I know I'm not the only one who can't keep spending 15-20% of my pay on foriegn fuel sources.
      If you count heating oil, my total % is...

12.5%, assuming oil will be $5/gal. this winter. Last year my fills ran $2.15, $2.25, $2.30, and $2.85 (!!), averaged $2.38 a gallon, but I drove a LOT more... which puts my percentage closer to 10%... which is STILL too high.

We've really cut down on the driving. Right now we budget $500/mo. for gas. I only go to the train station and back most days, and Julie mostly putters around town...
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Anyway, I love this part:
        Further, the models showed that the bubble is close to a local peak, and we may have even reached the peak already. On the other hand, the researchers noted, this critical peak may also be embedded in a larger-scale bubble, one that could develop in the coming months and years.
        Almost as kewl as the classic wall street journall headline "Bond prices possibly set to move sharply either way".

Anyway, me thinks the article is useless. Wish GNEP was here to enlighten us a bit.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

A comparison of supply and demand showed that, most recently, supply has been exceeding demand by more than a half million barrels per day.
          This, for instance, I do not see from the graph were, aside from perhaps 5 months in 2006, demand is higher then supply.

Any economist would comment, by the way, that this is all silly laymens talk. There is no absolute level of demand and or supply (although with supply, it may well appear so). There are demand (and supply) functions with the price of the commodity (and, really of all other commodities) as its heterogeneous parameter(s). How can the price of oil be, say $100, if supply is 84 and demand 85 at that level? Surely, some would be willing to sell at $110 (or choose not to buy at that level) causing supply to equal demand?

And yes, if supply and demand are inelastic in price then a change in the demand(function) may well lead to more than exponential price increases. Think your demand of water when suddenly in a dessert.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

There is a lot of speculation in oil price and also lots of dependant businesses such as airlines are buying oil futures to secure their business. This is one of reasons for smaller airlines that didn't buy into futures as much to be in trouble.

Another contributor to apparent price is actually falling dollar. At 135 USD/barell this is ~85 EUR, this is about ~72 USD from before GWB took the helm, so the price in Euros didn't go up as much as Dollar value would indicate.

I don't think the price will fall since oil is very inelastic good. Even at current increase I haven't noticed people changing commuting habits, driving less, car polling... Unless the economy slows down considerably (major global depression) demand won't go down. Furthermore energy costs currently represent lesser fraction of household expenses as they did in 70s.

Some of that price translates to higher prices of goods and food but this will probably only slightly slow down consumer spending in major oil consuming markets. 3d world food problems will not decrease demand for oil.

So, I think prices should raise considerably before we would see significant lowering in demand. There is also currently nothing that could replace the oil, at least not within couple of years (biofuel is bullshit, hydrogen, electric cars, hybrids still consume oil or raw energy, there won't be couple of times more hydro, nuclear or solar power produced...). It will have to be replaced in the future but it will require replacement of cars, better powergrid, new plants, more efficient housing...

There is also no one who can effectively globally intervene against high oil prices. There are only local interventions in oil producing countries (a la Venezuela, CIS...) Also high oil price is in interest of Russia, so they will not like any such interventions. In current World it will be hard to reach the kind consensus that was there during Gulf War (Kuwait, 1991) that then brought very low oil prices.

I think we're not at the peak of the bubble yet, there is no intervention in sight an while the economy has slowed down, we're not yet at major global depression that would have lowered demand considerably.

I also wish for Gnep to chime in, I owe him lots of beer from London
            Last edited by UtwigMU; 8 July 2008, 13:21.

Comment

Inflation adjusted oil prices chart

The inflation adjusted chart says we are at the '79 price level which then resulted in recession. But energy market was much different back then. There are a lot more industrialized nations with consumers (India, China...) and driving a car is much cheaper than it was then (families in first world now have 2-3 cars, so they pay slightly more for cars overall).

If the prices go up considerably it could result in:
              - real estate within urban centers (higher paying jobs, better education) go up
              - becoming less profitable to create jobs outside urban centers
              - commuters being forced to find jobs closer, people outside cities to partially grow food
              - on demand manufacturing, zero supply concepts, driving goods by truck becoming less profitable, lead to more manufacturing being created locally. It will still be very cheap to ship containers from China, just delivering them on time by truck will become expensive. Railroad transport is not suited to on-demand logistics.
              Last edited by UtwigMU; 8 July 2008, 13:36.

Comment

Working...
              X