OmniCube 4-Port KVM, W2K, Microsoft Natural Keyboard Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OmniCube 4-Port KVM, W2K, Microsoft Natural Keyboard Problems

Yesterday, in anticipation of adding an additional system (for SETI) that I intend to build mostly from spare parts, I upgraded my Belkin OmniCube 2 Port to a OmniCube 4 Port.

Please keep in mind that the OmniCube 2 Port works fine with the current configuration: a dual processor machine running on a Asus P2B-D board and Windows 2000 RC2 and a single Celeron-based machine running Windows 98se.

However, I get quite a few keyboard errors. The text keys appear to work OK, but num lock and caps lock flake out a lot, hitting the number pad keys result in the wrong characters being display, and hitting the escape and arrow keys frequently does nothing. I haven't tried. The same goes for ctrl-alt-delete, an important combination when you're using Windows 98 or 2000.

I haven't tried the function keys. Too scared.

I exchanged the unit a bought yesterday, hoping it was defective. Everything started OK, but when trying to enter my password into the Windows 98 machine, I was able to access my system just by hitting the num lock key. Very spooky.

Relevant components:

Belkin OmniCube 4 Port
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard (last year's model)
    Windows 2000 RC2 and 98se
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Belkin PS2 and VGA cables
    Asus P2B-D and P2B-F mainboards

I followed directions very closely when installing the unit.

Again, I'm using a second unit, so either I have a conflict of some sort or I'm very unlucky.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

The plot thickens. Despite the fact that I get keyboard errors on both the W2K and Windows 98se machines when both are running, but I wasn't getting them when the W2K machine was down and only the 98 machine was running.

I then switched ports, connecting the 98 machine to port 1 and the W2K machine to port 2. The problems, although they still exist, are more managable. The problems are, at least for now, isolated to the caps lock key, which engages arbitrarily when switching from machine to machine.

When the caps lock key is engaged, and I have to hit it a couple of times before it disengages, the keyboard errors start up.

This I can deal with for the time being, although I'd still like some feedback please. Hopefully, if it is a W2K RC2 problem, it will be corrected with the final release.

I sat on hold with Belkin tech support for over a half hour today. Finally, I gave up. I'm curious if the unit works better with RC3 or the final version.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

um... i don't mean to sound stupid or make you look stupid, but have you tried a new keyboard? i don't have much experience with it, but try a new keyboard. it could work. =)

------------------
      -Campbell "aNtHrAx323" Krueger
      anthrax32@yahoo.com

System specs:
      AMD K6-III 400 at 112x4.0 at 2.3V
      Asus P5A
      96 MB SD-RAM (the old 66 MHz... stable enough tho =)
      Matrox G400 AGP 32MB Dual-Head
      Diamond Sonic Impact S90 PCI
      Linksys LNE100TX WOL PCI Ethernet adapter
      Processor is a peltier/Alpha cooling combo, avg. temp is around 85 F.

http://anthrax.home.texas.net
      -Campbell "aNtHrAx323" Krueger
      anthrax32@yahoo.com

System specs:
      Dual Celeron 400s (week 52 i think) @ 588 @ 2.05v (air-cooled, no peltiers)
      Abit BP6 (w/ QQ BIOS and HPT366 1.22 BIOS)
      128 MB of PC133 SD-RAM (Athlon-grade)
      Matrox G400 AGP 32MB Dual-Head
      Diamond Monster Sound MX300
      3Com 3C905C PCI w/ WOL
      Western Digital Expert 20.5 GB ATA/66 7200 RPM drive

the aXion gaming network

Comment

Now that's just too easy!

I have every intention to do so, and will tomorrow. I had it narrowed down to W2K and the keyboard, and I strongly suspect this is a W2K issue. (Mind you, Belkin hails its NT support all over the place, and no version number is given.) But one never knows. These are PC's we're talking about. It's definitely the next thing to try.

Thanks.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

It appears my Microsoft Natural Keyboard has compatibility issues with an NT certified device and Microsoft 2000. I'm getting much better results with a non-Microsoft keyboard.

Frankly, I'm a little surprized (although not thunderously shocked).

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Thanks IceStorm. I might take you up on that offer. I'm going to continue testing the non-Microsoft keyboard, and I'll try Belkin's tech support department again after the holiday's. (They seem a bit busy now.)

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
            X