Pic of Volt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pic of Volt?

A graphic artist took a GM pic of a Volt contour model in a wind tunnel, actual images published of its front end, leaks and info from the GM project managers recent interviews and came up with this.

See something unusual?

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Solar cells ... interesting. I've been wondering when car makers would start putting those on the roof.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yup. GM has been paying attention to the Volt blogs, which have running feature request threads. The #2 requested item was solar panels on the roof to at least partially charge the car when parked etc.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Kinda sad though, that GM didn't come up with the idea themselves. I mean it only makes sense. Granted, making em so they don't get damaged by hail or something else probably makes this an engineering challenge, but still, bloggers shouldn't be the reason GM is making this.
        Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
        MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
        Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
        Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Actually GM did put forth the idea first, then they decided no for cost savings. After that they did a reader poll and guess what? They wanted it back.

Hail won't likely be a problem save for the worst case scenario: it'll be covered in polycarbonate.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Wow, this is one very rare example of a recent american car* looking halfway decent.

*= muscle car remakes excluded. Some of those look fantastic.
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

did they say how much adds to the cost of the Volt for the solar paneling?
              www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Not yet, but one major low cost possibility is already in production; the PowerSheet.

This tech is from Nanosolar, which is estimated to cost about $1/w once all their lines are up to full speed. Nanosolar's panels consist of a thin film printed on a foil substrate using a nanotech ink (copper indium gallium diselenide). That's right: printed.

Most companies only produce solar panels at a rate of 10-30 megawatts/year because of their labor intensive assembly and expensive fabrication, but Nanosolar's single line is already producing at a rate of 1 gigawatt/year - ~100 feet/minute, but they say 1000-2000 ft/min should work in principle.

This single production line tripled the US's solar panel production rate in one swipe. (YouTube video)

Add to the low price their 25 year guarantee on the panels and you have IMO the potential for a paradigm shift.

Needless to say companies are scrambling to get their hands on a Nanosolar panel. As far as capitalization goes, they have gobs of it - more than $100 million and climbing fast.
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 July 2008, 20:00.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

We are presently already sold out for the next 12 months. We are working hard to scale our production capacity as fast as possible.
                  Have they gone public yet?

Kevin

Comment

Please do not inquire via phone; use email. We read every email we receive and follow up promptly if there is a match. Due to the quantity of inquiries we receive, we're afraid we cannot answer emails for which there is no match.
                    ?A match for what? Phone number and email address?

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
                      Have they gone public yet?

Kevin
                      Not yet, but an IPO looks to happen later this year or early next.

Their current cap is closing in on $200 million and rumors are that that may hit $2 billioin as more venture cap firms line up.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                      X