No announcement yet.

TinyXP - Can't install to a partition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TinyXP - Can't install to a partition?

So I am attempting to install TinyXP (a gutted version of WinXP) to my machine.

I'm using an on board SATA controller for my WD 74GB raptor drive, so I hit F6 and install the appropriate driver for my Intel board (DP35DP).

When it comes time to choose a partition for installation is where the fun begins.

When I select the partition (which is a bootable 20GB NTFS partition), XP tells me that it cannot install to that drive. If I delete the partition and recreate it in the windows installer, I get the same error. If I use gparted or Ranish to create a partition, same thing. Doesn't matter if it's FAT32, NTFS, etc.

Why is this happening? How can I fix this?

does it work on a standard winxp install?
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Haven't tried that, but my GUESS would be no since it looks identical to the XP installer.

Comment

oh crap. I think I just accidentally did a quick format on my linux partition. How the hell can I undo that?

Comment

Call Peabody & Sherman and see if the WayBack Machine is still operational

TinyXP is just a finished product done with nLite (vLite works for Vista). Some think that TinyXP actually goes too far eliminating some features like printers, certain network features etc.

Both operate on a folder containing the XP/Vista install disc contents, letting you opt out of various features/software etc. and do some optimization. When finished you create an ISO with the custom installation.

Wikipedia article on both here....
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 26 June 2008, 22:01.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

@what might work to recover Linux partition/recovering data if that won't work:

Comment

You can just recreate Linux partitions of exact same size.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                You can just recreate Linux partitions of exact same size.

Interesting.

I've been playing around with testdisk...it "sees" the old partitions, but won't allow me to restore them.

Comment

From what I remember it mostly collected the data for another tool which might be used to restore them (not sure thoufgh, should be in help; and don't trust me ATM, I'm drunk and I menaged to physically destroy HDD/data on it once in such state )

Comment

Working...
                  X