Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel to not adopt Vista

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0.../index.html?hp

I don't find this surprising at all honestly. They have fixed a lot but this has still been my concern. I saw a reason to upgrade from 98 to 2000 and then to XP (after SP1).. this time.. not really.

Intel, the giant chip maker and longtime partner of Microsoft, has decided against upgrading the computers of its own 80,000 employees to Microsoft’s Vista operating system, a person with direct knowledge of the company’s plans said.

The person, who has been briefed on the situation but requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of Intel’s relationship with Microsoft, said the company made its decision after a lengthy analysis by its internal technology staff of the costs and potential benefits of moving to Windows Vista, which has drawn fire from many customers as a buggy, bloated program that requires costly hardware upgrades to run smoothly.

“This isn’t a matter of dissing Microsoft, but Intel information technology staff just found no compelling case for adopting Vista,” the person said.

An Intel spokesman said the company was testing and deploying Vista in certain departments, but not across the company.

Intel’s decision is certain to sting Microsoft because the two companies have worked closely to align hardware and software from the earliest days of the personal computer. Indeed, the corporate duo is known as “Wintel” in the PC industry.

Could Intel change its mind? Quite possibly. Microsoft’s chief executive, Steven Ballmer, has few equals as a forceful, persuasive salesman, and he and Paul Otellini, Intel’s chief executive, meet regularly.

Word of Intel’s lukewarm response to Vista appeared Monday in The Inquirer, an irreverent London-based technology Web site.

Intel is hardly alone in its reluctance to embrace Microsoft’s latest operating system, which was available to corporate customers in November 2006 and to consumers in January 2007. Large companies routinely hold off a year or so after a new version of Windows is introduced before adopting it, waiting for initial bugs to be eliminated and for applications to be written. “But by 18 months, you’d expect to see a significant uptake, and we haven’t seen that,” said David Smith, a Gartner analyst. “There’s not much excitement.”

His Gartner colleague, Michael Silver, said that about 30 percent of corporate customers skip any given new version of Windows. But the percentage will be higher for Vista, Mr. Silver predicted. Gartner’s corporate clients that plan to skip Vista, like Intel, do not see value of this upgrade, particularly since it requires new PC hardware at the time when the economy is weak and corporate budgets are tight.

Still, Microsoft doesn’t seem to be suffering too much from the resistance to Vista by some large corporations. Microsoft says there are more than 140 million copies of Vista installed on machines worldwide. Consumers and small businesses simply get the operating system that is on a new machine when they buy a PC, and that is Vista.

Meanwhile, the Microsoft operating system engine chugs on, phasing out the old and proclaiming the new. The company reiterated this week that, despite some customer protests, it would halt shipments of the previous version of Windows, XP, to retail stores and stop most licensing of XP to PC makers next week. Microsoft also announced that the next version of its operating system, Windows 7, is scheduled to go on sale in January 2010.
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Stories surfaced yesterday that Windows 7 will be built on the Vista core and not a new one or XP's. Bottom line: Windows 7 will be Vista SP2/3 but with a price tag, which IMO should give everyone pause.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
      Stories surfaced yesterday that Windows 7 will be built on the Vista core and not a new one or XP's. Bottom line: Windows 7 will be Vista SP2/3 but with a price tag, which IMO should give everyone pause.
      Well XP was built on top of NT so it COULD be new and better... however, I'm not going to hold my breath on that and you will probably be right.
      Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

In other news.. ok, back from 2002,

history repeating itself.. Intel not upgrading to XP right away either.
        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I know we are sticking to Windows XP SP3 until 2010 or beyond, no need to upgrade here unless there are compelling reasons to.

Comment

If I remember correctly I also read that Windows 7 will be based on the Vista kernel. In my case I don't see a reason upgrading to Vista (my hardware would be way too weak for Vista anyways).
            As long as MS will keep up the support for XP I guess that lots of companies will stay with XP, too.
            Asus H97 Pro Gamer| Intel i5 4690K| Noctua NH-U9B SE2 | Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 3GB | Soundblaster ZxR | 8 GB Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 1600| LG 24 MP88HV-S

Comment

Windows 7 = Vista R2 with a new marketing name to try and get around the bad press of Vista. Seriously, I asked.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

So I guess they're keeping the "lucky number" as long as possible? (and who knows, perhaps even as product name...)

Comment

Looks like Microsoft has got a problem. It needs to move forward but fears to do so. So it clings to the cludge of Windows and will end up producing more code of bloat as it tries to keep everyone happy.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                  X