X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony's PS3 losses quantified....

GameDaily article....
    PS3 Has Cost Sony $3.32 Billion So Far

Launching the PS3 has been a very expensive endeavor for Sony, which warned investors recently that the large-scale investment for the new console may not be fully recovered.

Sure, paying $499 or $599 for a PlayStation 3 seemed outrageous, but if initial estimates around the console's launch were accurate, it cost Sony about $800 to manufacture each PS3. And while the cost curve has subsequently been improved, this cost/pricing balance has resulted in some pretty huge losses for the gaming division. As part of its fiscal 2008 report, Sony revealed today that $2.16 billion was lost on PS3 in 2007 and another $1.16 billion in 2008.

Sony warned investors that "the large-scale investment required during the development and introductory period of a new gaming platform may not be fully recovered."
    The company added, "In the past, large-scale investment relating to capital expenditures and research and development for the manufacture of key components, including semiconductors supplied for [PlayStation 3] was also recorded within the Electronics segment."

Sony noted that it's had to invest large sums of money into research and development for the PS3 and that it's possible that this money may not be recouped if the console "fail[s] to achieve such favorable market penetration... resulting in a significant negative impact on Sony's profitability."

Nevertheless, things are definitely improving for the PS3 business. Sales at the game division rose 26 percent thanks to improved PS3 sales and lowered costs on hardware production. Sony said in May that it's expecting "...the profitability of the [game] segment will improve significantly due to hardware cost reductions and an enhanced line-up of software titles in the PS3 business."
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

But how much profit will result from the BluRay victory?

Comment

I don't think they will continue to loose money, eventually they will catch up and will start making money, I mean they still sell PS2 for god sakes.
      Losses can always be offset by other profitable divisions within Sony.

Comment

As I have said many times over the years, I hate Sony, but the PS3 is by far the best device I have had the pleasure to lay my hands on in a very long time. It is worth every penny and more. I now think the $600 price tag on it was about right.

It is used in my house several hours of every day, and that doesn't include video games. Just yesterday, we showed off slide shows to friends and family, played educational videos for kids, played all different kinds of music, browsed the web, played guitar hero and watched a blu-ray movie. Of course, I have a NAS, so that helps out a lot. It does way more than Sony advertises. For example, I didn't even think about putting CD's in the PS3. I pop one in, it gets the CD info from the internet and asks me if I want to copy the music to the HDD. I rip the CD to the HDD and it is fast. It even sounds good

The usability of it is the other thing that nobody seems to mention. Everything is so polished and nice to use. It puts the Xbox to shame. Also, even though you can do all of the above mentioned things on an Xbox, it is tied to a Vista premium/Ultimate install, so if something is wrong with your PC, it's off, or whatever, than the media center won't work.

Don't get me wrong, it's not without its faults. If you have a huge music collection (most people do), then scrolling to the letter "S" can be annoying, especially over Gigabit Ethernet. You can't create playlists with music that is on the network. Only if the music is on the HDD. You can't use a universal remote unless you buy a third party device (IR2BT is the best one).

Of course, they are adding tons of things in the future. Home for one. They just announced something else that I can't seem to remember the name of.

Anyway, I have been converted I think Sony really paid attention to what was going to happen in the future and got it right with the PS3. I sitll hate Sony, but they have gained a little respect from me with the PS3.
        Last edited by Helevitia; 29 June 2008, 13:32.
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Unless you are one of those with a now-bricked PS3...
          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

please define, bricked vs unbricked?

Comment

bricked meaning an update or a mode broke the bios.

at which point in time the ps3 becomes as lifeless as a brick
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Thanks Sasq, and if it's bricked it cannot be recovered?
                I ask because I am buying a PS3 shortly and want to understand all these things

Comment

Elie, the latest firmware (2.40) was released the other day and it caused some problems for some PS3 owners. One of the problems was that the PS3 wouldn't boot up anymore. They have since pulled that firmware.

I did upgrade to the 2.40 firmware and it did break one thing for me. I can't use my IR2BT device with my PS3 currently unless I power the PS3 by some other means and then I can use the IR2BT.

So as long as you didn't upgrade to the 2.40 firmware, there are no problems.

As far as unbricking a PS3, apparently you can format the HDD and reload the OS, though I have never looked into it, so I am not sure how. Sony currently does not have a mechanism to revert back to the old firmware if something goes wrong.
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
                  X