WALL-E reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WALL-E reviews

89% at Rottentomatoes, but the count is low. That said this is USA Todays review;

Link....

'WALL-E' plugs into human emotion

**** out of 4

Who would guess that a movie with minimal dialogue and a love story between robots could emerge as one of the best films of the summer? And who would think a tale could be both post-apocalyptic and charming?

But when it's from Pixar Animation, which brought us Ratatouille, The Incredibles and Toy Story, nothing is a stretch.
    The engaging and visually stunning computer-animated WALL·E (* * * * out of four) is a significant departure for the studio, with its sci-fi plot and soundtrack of beeps and buzzes that serve as communication between the bots.

The film cements the place of writer/director Andrew Stanton (Finding Nemo) in the Pixar pantheon. WALL·E is inventive, poignant and funny in its tale of a spunky robot whose name stands for Waste Allocation Load Lifter Earth Class.

The story is set in 2700, when Earth has become a ghost town. Somehow, WALL·E was overlooked in the planet's evacuation, so he keeps bravely doing what he was programmed to do: transport trash. In his spare time, he befriends a cockroach and sifts through garbage, collecting artifacts.

He meets a sleek robot named EVE, and in his enthusiasm to win her over, he gives her his prized find: a tiny, struggling plant.

EVE takes it back to her space station, where earthlings have been lounging around for centuries, waiting to return to Earth. The computerized powers at the station regard the plant as proof that Earth is ready to be re-colonized.

In truth, Earth has become a stark wasteland. A cautionary tale with striking ecological implications, the message is artfully interwoven into the plot.

The story is set amid breathtaking visuals: Giant skyscrapers built of trash fill Earth's horizon, and WALL·E's plunge into outer space is gorgeous, his dance through space exhilarating.

Meanwhile, the descendants of those who populated Earth have become massive, flabby beings with tiny, almost-vestigial limbs. They spend their days in moving recliners equipped with screens, in their own virtual worlds, avoiding human contact. The space way station — a blend of giant mall and sterile vacation land — is the brainchild of corporate titan Shelby Forthright (a perfectly cast Fred Willard).

The plucky WALL·E embarks on an exciting and emotional space odyssey around the galaxy. As he and EVE develop an attachment and save each other from peril, their cries of "EVE-ahh" and "WALL-eee" are heart-tugging.

WALL·E is at once futuristic, funny and fantastical. It's an extraordinarily captivating adventure, laden with equal parts humor and heart and populated with memorable and endearing characters.

(Rating: G. Running time: 1 hour, 37 minutes. Opens in select theaters tonight and nationwide Friday.)
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Pixar is just amazing, can't wait.

I wonder why reviewers never mention "Finding Nemo" in the list of example good Pixar films.
    It is, by far, their highest grossing film, world wide. And my personal favorite.
    I myself have seen it 400,000 times in Mandarin Chinese.

Followed closely by 300,000 viewings of "Cars" in English.

Why do kids like to watch the same movie over and over?
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
      Pixar is just amazing, can't wait.

I wonder why reviewers never mention "Finding Nemo" in the list of example good Pixar films.
      It is, by far, their highest grossing film, world wide. And my personal favorite.
      I myself have seen it 400,000 times in Mandarin Chinese.

Followed closely by 300,000 viewings of "Cars" in English.

Why do kids like to watch the same movie over and over?
      Although still good movies, Cars and Nemo would be at the bottom of my Pixar list.
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

cars, ok. but nemo? come on!

"pretty light... I feel all fuzzy and warm... "

mfg
        wulfman
        "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
        "Lobsters?"
        "Really? I didn't know they did that."
        "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfman View Post
          cars, ok. but nemo? come on!

"pretty light... I feel all fuzzy and warm... "

mfg
          wulfman
          And yet, they always mention Ratatouille.
          While cute, far and away their least effort. *

I had just traveled to China to get our daughter, so Nemo has sentimental value too.
          Besides, it's not like I choose which movies we watch

*The Pixar standard is very high, no criticism meant.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

I think Ratatouille is the only one I haven't seen yet. (and Wall-E)

edit: and Monsters Inc.

Heh, so I guess I basically just liked the other 4 more. 2x Toy Story, Bugs Life, and Incredibles (awesome!)
            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

As a film, I enjoyed Ratatouille immensely, even more than Finding Nemo. As an animation, I was impressed by some of the detailed textures and effects including the underwater shots. I also enjoyed the DVD extras like the history of the rat. I don't recall if I've seen any of the other Pixar films besides their first effort ("Lux" or something like that). I don't have children and I don't find myself watching animation very often.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen| View Post
                edit: and Monsters Inc.

Originally posted by xortam View Post
                I don't recall if I've seen any of the other Pixar films besides their first effort ("Lux" or something like that). I don't have children and I don't find myself watching animation very often.

Monster's Inc is a good movie.
                They are all good movies.
                Not Citizen Kane, and not all equal, but good class A movies.
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

Well if I had to recommend one for you Xortam, I'd say the Incredibles.

Comment

I just saw a commercial for WALL-E. Might be amusing. I'll check it out when it comes around to the premium channels. I'll look out for Incredibles in the meantime. I checked the Pixar filmography and sure enough, I've only seen Ratatouille, Finding Nemo and Luxo Jr.. Checking DreamWorks filmography, I haven't seen any of them except snippets of the Shrek movies and they're not for me. I also saw some of Over the Hedge and it kind of caught my attention but I haven't given it more than five minutes.
                    Last edited by xortam; 26 June 2008, 22:24.
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Currently scoring a 97% on the tomato meter, with only negative reviews of 78 in so far:

WALL-E, short for Waste Allocation Load Lifter Earth-class, is the last robot left on Earth. He spends his days tidying up the planet, one piece of garbage at a time. But during 700 years, WALL-E has developed a personality, and he's more than a little lonely. Then he spots EVE (Elissa Knight), a sleek and shapely probe sent back to Earth on a scanning mission. Smitten WALL-E embarks on his greatest adventure yet when he follows EVE across the galaxy.

I know it will be visually stunning, I just hope it's more interesting that Ratatouille, which was a good movie but kind of ... slow.
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

98%: 80 fresh, 2 rotten - the Arizona Daily Star and BrianOrndorf.com
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Of all of Pixar's efforts, The Incredibles is far and away the best. I rank it among my top 10 movies of all time, PERIOD, not just among my top animated movies.

That said, Wall-E has jumped into second place. Nemo has slipped to third, I'm afraid.

I hate to say the same thing all the worshipful reviewers are saying, but the love story between Wall-E and EVE was substantially more believable than any other on-screen performance I've seen this year, and it was done without any dialogue.
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

I completely agree.

Most of our extended family, a group of over 20 with more than half being kids ranging from 5 to 15, went to see WALL-E at a Saturday matinee and it was massively enjoyed by all. Pixar has yet another masterpiece on their hands.

Almost as good was the animated featurette shown before WALL-E about a magician and his contrary rabbit. That had everyone busting a gut.
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 June 2008, 12:11.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                              ...Pixar has yet another masterpiece on their hands.
                              This is the amazing thing about Pixar for me.
                              All those movies and NO CLINKERS.

As far as I'm concerned it's the writing.
                              So many movies nowadays (I hate that I'm old enough to use that word) seem to run out of writing budget about 3/4 of the way through.
                              For Pixar the animation technique is great, but it's the story telling that makes it work.
                              Chuck
                              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                              X