Goodbye Tiger Stadium.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye Tiger Stadium.....

One of the last of the great, old ball parks is scheduled for demolition. Hits hard because I spent a large part of my youth there, even playing there in high school regional championship games. blank_pageThe biggest thrill was being there the night the Tigers beat the NY Yankees to clinch the 1968 American League championship.

Link....

Construction crews prepare for demolition at Tiger Stadium

Mark Hicks / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- Hours after Mike White learned Tiger Stadium would soon be encircled by a fence, closing its walls to the public in anticipation of demolition, he raced there with a camera.

"I wanted to see it one last time," the 34-year-old Ferndale graduate student said Tuesday after snapping photos near a gate. "I have a lot of memories. ... I just hate to see it go."

This week, crews began erecting the enclosure -- signaling the beginning of the end for the historic stadium near Michigan and Trumbull.

Earlier this month, a demolition contract was finalized the same day Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick granted an extension to the group trying to save a portion of the site where the Detroit Tigers last played in 1999 before moving to Comerica Park.

MCM Management Corp. of Bloomfield Hills and Farrow Group of Detroit have started the process of obtaining permits to raze the stadium and sell parts for scrap, according to the Detroit Economic Growth Corp. The city's quasi-public agency handles development and is executing a plan approved by the City Council and Mayor Kilpatrick.

A demolition date has not yet been set, said Waymon Guillebeaux, DEGC vice president of contract services.

Kilpatrick set an Aug. 1 deadline for the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy Group, which has said was enough time to prove it has a $12 million to $15 million financial plan to save the baseball diamond, 3,000 seats and an area that would house Hall of Fame broadcaster Ernie Harwell's sports memorabilia collection, some of which is now at the main Detroit Public Library.

The deal could hinge on U.S. Sen. Carl Levin, D-Detroit, to securing about $15 million from the federal 2009 budget.

The conservancy also has said it can now secure the $369,000 it failed to produce by the previous June 1 deadline the group was given by the DEGC.

The City Council and the DEGC would ultimately have to approve a plan.

Late Tuesday, metal poles wrapped with yellow caution tape remained on Trumbull as workers collected waste and a security guard monitored the grounds.
    >
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 June 2008, 09:43.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps
Working...
X