124Mhz FSB killed my HD??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 124Mhz FSB killed my HD??

is it possible that running at 124Mhz FSB can kill your Hard Disk??? well not kill it but corrupt your Fats?

I'm urgently in need of some help, it's the second time this week that my HD crashes.

Here is what happend...

I bought a P3 450 toghether with some 133Mhz ram, installed it, everything seemed ok, I clocked it to 112Mhz FSB, works like a charm, tried a little higher 124Mhz Still worked fine, then I went to 133Mhz and got the blue screen of death. ok so I figured 124Mhz was the max, did a little benchmarking etc, all runs fine, played UT for a few hours no prob, tried Q3A 1.08, blam Blue screen of death, rebooted, and my whole HD was wiped, well it was full of errors and didn't boot up anymore, did a scandisk but that made it even worse, the partition was completely unusable
    I had some other partitions on the HD with another Win98 on and Win2k, they didn't suffer any loss, so reformated the partition, reinstalled windows, and all was fine. yesterday, I formated all the stuff on my HD, no problems, FSB was at 124Mhz, played UT for a few hours, did a little benchmarking with Q3a all was fine, then my brother mentioned that when he was trying to boot up win2k het got a blue screen, and it wouldn't boot, I decided to check it out, rebooted, selected win2k from the bootmagic startupmenu, WIn2k gave some errors and wouldn't boot, ok no prob I thought, restarted the PC, bootmagic failed, used startupdisk to select partition, bootmagic still failed, rebooted again, computer remained dead!!! black screen with cursor blinking in the top left corner... (that's when I went beserk) the computer wouldn't boot anymore, Bios would detect HD etc, then when the second bios screen normaly should appear nothing happend, so I lowerd the FSB to 100Mhz and still no luck. I took out the HD, and everything would work normaly, tried the HD again, nothing, changed IDE cable, still no luck. So I tried the HD in another PC and luckely the PC booted, but data on the HD was corrupted, so now I'm doing a scandisk, and it gave me an error that the fat is corrupted and asked me to replace it with another copy, so I(m doing that now, takes a little while, when making a backup disk. But I'm pretty sure that the HD will stay unusable.

So please!! If anyone recognises this problem, please HELP ME, 'coz I'm getting insane.

Sys specs: P3 450, Abit BH6, 128MB 133Mhz ram, Seagate Medalist 13640, Matrox G400, SBlive, Awe32, etc....

Software: Powerquest Partition Magic 5 & Bootmagic
    -=And May The Schwartz Be With Ya=-

easy answer. YES
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

YES?? any recommendations for a good HD, that will run @ 124Mhz FSB or even 133

Looks like I still have alot to learn about overclockin

btw thanks for the quick answer

[This message has been edited by Moleman (edited 18 December 1999).]

Comment

See if the HD can survive with DMA turned off. It's a pot shot, but it's probably the only other option right now.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

When you listed the directories on your hard drive after it was corrupted, it didn't read something like this did it?

direct~1
          direct~2
          direct~3

i had this problem when i took a pc to 83mhz, ot was a maxtor hard drive and it wasn't mine (oh f***!!!!) tried scandisk, left it on for 6 hours and it made no difference, oh dear. Had to do a reformat and reinstall of everything, man was not happy. It seems that some drives don't like an overclocked pci bus. If you have a 1/4 divider for the pci then use this and go to 133 fsb.

------------------
          p3 450@600. bx6 ver 2. 128mb unbranded pc100. iwill 2930u scsi, diamond pro pci modem, advansys 1505 isa scsi, SB Live!, pioneer dvd103s, hollywood plus dvd card, plextor 40x cd rom, ricoh 1420 cdr, ibm 13.5gb @ 7200rpm, G400 @ max settings. All wrapped up in a big case with loads of fans. Belinea 10 30 40 17" monitor

1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
          Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
          Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

It may not be the HD that couldn't handle the 124 FSB, but the udma ide controller integrated into the 440BX chipset. It may have just passed corrupted garbage to the HD which happily wrote what it got. Then again, it may be the HD.

I've had very good fortune with IBM hard disks with my overclocking, which does include a PIII 4.5 * 124.

Sometimes it only takes a nasty look at Windows to make it crash so hard you need to reinstall the OS.

Comment

thanks for all the info, I'll be getting a new hard disk this week, 112Mhz runs fine now, but I really want to go back to 124 without having to reformat my HD every day.

They have 2 brands at my local shop
              20GB-IDE SEAGATE BARACUDA , UDMA-66, 7200 U/min
              20GB-IDE MAXTOR, UDMA-66, 7200 U/min

So anyone who has one of these runnin at 124Mhz on a BH6, please let me know.
              But I'm really thinking about not buying another Seagate drive, that last one kinda let me down.

or maybe it would be better to buy a new mobo that has 1/4 divider for the pci busspeed, well let me know what you guys think.

Comment

I have the Maxtor running at 124 on an Abit BX6-2. Runs beautifully with DMA turned on even. Damn good hard drive- blows my IBM 14.4 away.
                Matrox G400MAX
                PIII600
                Abit BX6-2
                224mb Samsung GH
                SB Live
                Netgear NIC
                Tekram SCSI
                Maxtor 20gig ATA-66 7200
                IBM 14.4gig ATA-33 7200
                Creative 5xDVD- no card
                Plextor 8/2/20 CDR
                Kenwood 52x CDROM

Comment

I also have a Maxtor 7200rpm and luvin' it at 124
                  jim

------------------
                  PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
                  128mb pc-100
                  Mill G400 (YAHOO!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.41 & bios 1.5-22
                  Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
                  SB Live!
                  Winblows 98se & DX7
                  32 lbs. of fans, heatsinks and aluminum ductwork
                  3DMark Result 5954.69 3DMarks
                  Synthetic CPU 3D Speed 9325.69 CPU 3DMarks
                  Rasterizer Score 2791.72 3DRasterMarks
                  Game 1 - Race 65.07 FPS
                  Game 2 - First Person 54.89 FPS
                  Fill Rate 268.79 MTexels/s

System 1:
                  AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                  Epox 8K7A
                  2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                  an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                  SBLIVE 5.1
                  Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                  IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                  Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                  3Com Hardware Modem
                  Teac 20/10/40 burner
                  Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

IBM and Western Digital have always had good reputations as overclockers. I find Western Digital drivers to be relatively expensive and, for some reason, extremely dull. I suspect with a hard drive, dull is a good thing. IBM gives you good performance, size, and speed for the money. They also have a reputation for reliability. I think WD is now using IBM technology with their drives.

I just installed a 20 GB IBM drive. While this doesn't have anything to do with overclocking, it has really nice, big, easy to remove and replace jumpers, and a lot of jumpering information on the drive itself. Installing a hard drive isn't rocket science (or even computer science), but it's about as user-friendly a drive as I've seen.

It's quiet and fast as well.

I hope you didn't lose any mission critical data. OS's and software can be reinstalled and hardware can be replaced, but unless you're really good about backing up, nothing is worse than losing a hard drive.

Paul
                    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I run an abit bf6 fsb at 138 X 1/4 pci bus ,thats 34.5 mhz to the hds and a p3 450 at 620 mhz ..Y not buy a board that lets you controll the fsb devider ?? Im running a fasttrack raid board with 2 quantum ka 18gigs and 2 ibm 10 gigs striped into a c and d drive they smoke but never fry.trade up your board you wont be sorry

Matt

[This message has been edited by Plmr (edited 19 December 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Plmr (edited 19 December 1999).]
                      Abit BF6, P3 secc 700E AT 1001,alpha cooler,256 megs Micron 7.5ns pc133 ram, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Comment

"I think that WD is now using IBM technology with their drives."

No joke. WD drives have historically had a certain kind of look and feel to them. Recently, they have shaken off their mold and are nearly identical to IBM drives. I'd almost say that it is a completely IBM OEM'd drive with a WD label slapped on top of it. I don't have any inside source to confirm this, but when you put two of them side by side, they look identical.

Comment

Working...
                        X