Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer for work

Hello,

I need to order a new computer at the university for work use. The work will consist of development (.net, C#) to write a plugin for ESRI ArcGIS. As the university has a contract with Dell, it is quite easy to order these, but we are not limited to that. The trend at the university now is to use laptops and dock them in order to get a large display (even a double display when including the built-in one) and regular keyboard/mouse facilities (often via bluetooth to minimize cable hassle).

Chances are that some of the applications (e.g. ArcGIS) will run from a Citrix server, due to the licensing policy. We are trying to circumvent this. But how will this influence video performance, esp. OpenGL (I'm not too familiar with the Citrix technicalities)? Will I gain performance from having a better video card?

Given the requirements (and if video performance is gained), I have been looking at the Dell Precision line, more specifically the M2300, as they seem to have better video cards. Memory will most likely be maxed out (4 GB)...

Any other hardware recommendations/suggestions?

Thanks!

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 23 June 2008, 02:17.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Try and stick with a Latitude line. The Vostro line is good but you're better off with something with something other than an intel graphics chipset.... and it looks like most latitudes have them too... sigh. Make sure that the docking station has DVI at the very least.

As for Citrix. Your desktop/laptops graphics have NOTHING to do with performance. OpenGL from Citrix is... funky. It works but it won't be smooth. They keep getting better with this. Do you know which version they are using? Are they up to 4.5 yet? I've published Google Earth and it worked OK... but at something akin to 10-12 fps. ALL of that work is being done by the server. Your server could have a SLI config and what matters is how well it can take the imagery and send it your way. The best way to think about Citrix is that it's an extremely efficient VNC/RDP connection that can be made to look like the application is running locally.
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymonkey View Post
      Try and stick with a Latitude line. The Vostro line is good but you're better off with something with something other than an intel graphics chipset.... and it looks like most latitudes have them too... sigh.
      Yes, hence the reason I looked at the Precision line...

Make sure that the docking station has DVI at the very least.
      It is surprising how few laptops have a DVI port on them...

Your server could have a SLI config and what matters is how well it can take the imagery and send it your way. The best way to think about Citrix is that it's an extremely efficient VNC/RDP connection that can be made to look like the application is running locally.
      The server is not under our control. It is a central server at the university, where they publish a number of applications that have been bought for the entire university. So it can be quite slow even for normal applications. We are trying to get licenses for our own machines (so that we could run it directly on our systems.

I thought the citrix was closer to the X-window system than to vnc/rdp connections... Guess I was wrong...

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Get a Thinkpad.

Otherwise what's upcomming in laptops:
        Thinkpads will get Ati next round.
        There will be both Intel and discrete graphics and you'll use first on battery and the latter on power with switching.
        displays will still be TN

HP will have xx30 models next year (this means this year's models)
        HP will return multibay in their lines.

Comment

Working...
        X