Unplug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unplug

Customer: If I buy a router can I still unplug it?

Me: unplug?

C: yes, we unplug the broadband cable and move it when we want to surf on the other computer.

Me: uhm…isn’t the reason you want a router to be able to have more than one computer plugged in at the same time?

C: no, I meant; can I unplug the router from the broadband cable?

Me: yes, but then you won’t be able to use the internet.

C: so the router always has to be plugged in?

Me: to function, yes but it won’t break if you unplug it.

C: But if I go on vacation?

Me: as a precaution against electric storms, yes otherwise it’s like any other electrical device.

C: hm… thanks.

And the customer leaves the store still looking somewhat confused.
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

It's simply "box that connects to the Internet = modem" mindset, I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
      Me: to function, yes but it won’t break if you unplug it.
      Am I the only one who expects him to come back:
      -
      Customer: I unplugged it, and now it is broken.
      You: Have you plugged it back in?
      Customer: Yes.
      You: And?
      Customer: I have no internet connection.
      You: WHERE did you plug the broadband connection?
      Customer: Does it matter? The box has 5 identical looking ports...
      -

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I do NOT miss this kind of BS. I'm also extremely happy that my biggest Tech support caller, my dad, is savvy. I was actually able to talk him through with just a couple of URL's how to flash DD-WRT to his routers and configure a bridged network.

This is obviously outweighed by all my artsy friends that know I know what I'm doing
        Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Couple of weeks ago during storms I had 3 Linksys WRT54__ routers go down.

Comment

were they on surge protectors? Both power and data?

I lost my first 14.4 modem due to lovin' that a lightning storm can give electronics.
            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
              Am I the only one who expects him to come back:
              -
              Customer: I unplugged it, and now it is broken.
              You: Have you plugged it back in?
              Customer: Yes.
              You: And?
              Customer: I have no internet connection.
              You: WHERE did you plug the broadband connection?
              Customer: Does it matter? The box has 5 identical looking ports...
              -

Jörg
              Actually, most routers have 4 ports numbered 1-4 and a another port separated with a few mm from the switched ports and nowdays it's usually in a slightly different style with a bright colored border and the word WAN underneath it.

So those problems are mostly gone now.
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
              X