Win98 quickie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win98 quickie

I am planning to reinstall Win98 and put OSR2 on. (spring cleaning)

Anyway,
    I have some old apps that i cannot find the installation progs for. I have made a backup of the drive (which i intend to format) and I want to know if there is anyway to export the entire registry and then only merge certain registry strings.

I have backed up the whole registry, but there is little point reinstalling if i am going to use the same registry!

oh btw, is there some predefined order of hardware installation that i dont know about?

Cheers,

The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Power Quest has a program "Magic Mover" that comes with either Drive Image or Partition Magic (I can't remember which off hand - I think PM), and possibly as a stand alone. It has an option (I haven't tried it) that is supposed to allow you to pack a windows application up to move to another system. It's supposed to do all the registry, ini, etc...

Guyv

------------------
    ABit BE6, PIII-450 OC'd 600Mhz. 128MB PC133HSDRAM, 2.0V, 41C, Matrox Millenium G400 MAX, Adaptec 2940U2W, Quantum Atlas 10K 160/m 18.1GB, Quantum Atlas II 4.5GB, Kenwood UCR-415 True-X 52X SCSI, Matshita DVD-ROM SR-8582, Memorex CRW-2642 CDRW, Iomega 100MB Zip ATAPI, 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy, 3Com/USR 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro, HP DeskJet 895CXi, Creative/Cambridge Soundworks DTT2500 5.1 Digital Surround System, Logitech Marble FX, Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro (with 2 Port USB Hub)...

Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
    - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
    - 6.1 Digital Audio
    - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
    - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
    - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
    - LS120 IDE Floppy
    - Zip 100 IDE
    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
    - NEC FE950
    - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

You should try to find a program called Ghost. It makes an image of your entire harddrive or parts of it, and enables you to put that back with all the registry strings still attached.

I don't know if there's a shareware version of it, but look around

Jorden.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

jorden,
        I have ghost.
        It will let me restore an image to the disk, but i want to rebuild the system - not format the disk and then put back everything where is was. - sorry, i dont think this will work either - but thanks for the post!

Cheers,
        patrick
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Anyone else with any ideas?

Comment

Working...
          X