Very mysterious... I have a case of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very mysterious... I have a case of

dissappearing Ws. All the Ws on my menus and Windows headers and such come and go with no apparent pattern. Anyone hear of this problem previously? Anyone know of a solution?

------------------
    Win98SE, 600 PIII @ 660 Mhz (2.05 V) w/Alpha P3-125 heatsink/fan, ABIT BE6-2, 128 MB Siemens PC100 SDRAM, G400 MAX, Diamond V2 SLI, CL Soundblaster Live with Sennheiser HD-600 headphones, Sennheiser DSP360 Dolby processor, and Shure FP22 headphone amplifier, Adaptec AHA2940 w/uw SCSI, IBM 9ZX 9.1GB 10K UW SCSI HD, WDE 4360 4.3GB 7.2k UW SCSI HD, Pioneer 303s SCSI DVD, modified Supermicro SC750A case with PCP&C Silencer 275W PS, and a partridge in a pear tree.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 18 December 1999).]

i had a similar problem... i was running a K6-2 300 @ 350 at the normal voltage with only a regular heatsink and fan... turned out to be a cooling problem. it wasn't overheating, but apparently it was warm enough that it was skipping clock cycles or something. go with a peltier solution, or lower the voltage and your problems should go away. run it at 2.15v for about 3 days if you can (and maintain stability while doing it), then take it down to 2.0v, and it should be fine. i've had to burn in my K6-III and its cache chip(s) like that, but i had to take it to 2.9v then back down to 2.3v. try it and tell me how it turns out. just remember that this can create a HUGE amount of heat. my K6-III running at 2.9v with a peltier and an Alpha heatsink was operating at a temp of 130º F, and at ~80º F at 2.3v. lemme know how it works for ya.

------------------
    -Campbell "aNtHrAx323" Krueger
    anthrax32@yahoo.com

System specs:
    AMD K6-III 400 at 112x4.0 at 2.3V
    Asus P5A
    96 MB SD-RAM (the old 66 MHz... stable enough tho =)
    Matrox G400 AGP 32MB Dual-Head
    Diamond Sonic Impact S90 PCI
    Linksys LNE100TX WOL PCI Ethernet adapter
    Processor is a peltier/Alpha cooling combo, avg. temp is around 85 F.

http://anthrax.home.texas.net
    -Campbell "aNtHrAx323" Krueger
    anthrax32@yahoo.com

System specs:
    Dual Celeron 400s (week 52 i think) @ 588 @ 2.05v (air-cooled, no peltiers)
    Abit BP6 (w/ QQ BIOS and HPT366 1.22 BIOS)
    128 MB of PC133 SD-RAM (Athlon-grade)
    Matrox G400 AGP 32MB Dual-Head
    Diamond Monster Sound MX300
    3Com 3C905C PCI w/ WOL
    Western Digital Expert 20.5 GB ATA/66 7200 RPM drive

the aXion gaming network

Comment

Thanks for the post, but this is independent of the processor, bus speed, voltage, etc. Actually, I'm running my 600 at the default voltage. I can't run it at any higher bus speed than 110 MHz, the cache won't take it. I loose the Ws with the processor at 600, or with a 450 at 450 to 581, both at default voltages. Had this problem with my old motherboard also (BX6-2). I think it's a Windows problem, like a bad font file or a display problem with the MAX. I never had this occur with my G200, but that was quite a while ago. My Windows installation and other hardware has changed alot since then.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 18 December 1999).]

Comment

Brian,
        You just answered your own question. It looks like corrupted font files. Go into Control Panel, Desktop Themes and try another theme with different fonts. If you get W's, then its the standard fonts that are messed up. I've never reinstalled fonts, so maybe someone else has an easy way to reinstall them without doing an entire Win98 reinstall.

RAB
        AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Thanks for the reminder. I'm not sure that it is a font file problem, but changing the desktop font is one way to test. The problem with that is: I don't see this problem consistently. As a matter of fact, I'm not having this problem at the moment. Also, it comes and goes when I reboot or turn off the computer for a while. It seems to me a bad font file would give a consistently bad appearance. (Maybe not...)

Comment

Working...
          X