Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera 9.5 released!

Finally

Faster, safer and smarter than default browsers. Fully-featured for privacy, security, and so much more. Get the faster, better Opera browser for free.

(beat you, az )

a bit of an upstir in the opera community, as it still contains quite a few bugs as reported by people from earlier builds.

I guess since stability is ok/fine, management decided to give it the green light to stay ahead of Firefox. However, if enough people see these bugs at first encounter of opera, they might just use Firefox 3 instead when that's released. (polish/overall user experience was the one thing that opera used to be better at than Firefox)

anyway, imo it's much better than opera 9.2x is right now. So I've upgraded...
    Last edited by dZeus; 12 June 2008, 08:42.

Comment

Luckily I haven't encountered any bugs as of now, and I think new skin will work better for me after I'm used to it (I like represenattion of tabs much more; but why button showing "view bar" was hidden by default?...)

I'm very pleasently surprised by performance...much better than 9.2x, which was already the most snappy browser in my kind of usage (and I noticed it immediatelly - 9.5 had to open after install previous session consisting of ~430 tabs )

Comment

It's much faster indeed.

I like the new skin, although I've modified it to highlight the active tab in the same colour as the address bar (default was not standing out enough from the non-activate tabs imo).

I'm very happy that the unresponsiveness problem sometimes encountered when trying to type in the address bar has disappeared (plagued me in 9.2x versions), and the live-history search is very nice and snappy.

Oh, and you can now use more than 9 speed dials (set it to any amount you like, with a small modification of speeddial.ini)

Comment

Ok how do I put the address bar above the tab bar?
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

This is what google lists: http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/tab-b...ow-address-bar

edit: from watching the video is appears that what they're doing is copying all the butons from the address bar into the main bar, and then hiding the address bar. i.e. a hack that only works fine if you don't use the main bar.
            Last edited by dZeus; 14 June 2008, 05:07.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
              This is what google lists: http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/tab-b...ow-address-bar

edit: from watching the video is appears that what they're doing is copying all the butons from the address bar into the main bar, and then hiding the address bar. i.e. a hack that only works fine if you don't use the main bar.

If they can't manage basic functionality like dragging and dropping bars...
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

... then it's not ready for the average user?

probably (hence opera's small userbase), but I'm not an average user... are you?

Comment

ouch! LOL
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Any reason to use Opera apart from Mobiles????
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

if you don't like the defaults, and don't have prior knowledge about opera and it settings:

Considering the amount of time you have to pour into it to tweak it to your liking, probably not. Maybe a bit like running linux as desktop os in that regard.

I'm not sure if it offers any substantial benefits over the soon-to-be released Firefox3; as I've grown used to opera for the past 7+ year, I'm not going to bother trying FF3, as opera suits my needs (mostly). For those sporadic sites that don't work, I'll just use IE7.

Comment

It's REEEEE-diculously fast. I'll give it that. I'm willing to fiddle with the skins because it's a lot of fun. I've always been an Opera fan. But it IS going to have a bit of a tough time against FireFox 3.

FF3 just looks... ugly... to me though. It really just looks like a program straight out of 1999.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
                          It's REEEEE-diculously fast. I'll give it that. I'm willing to fiddle with the skins because it's a lot of fun. I've always been an Opera fan. But it IS going to have a bit of a tough time against FireFox 3.

FF3 just looks... ugly... to me though. It really just looks like a program straight out of 1999.

Does it matter what it looks like as long as it works. I mean Vista looks nice but sux big style.

One to wind the women up. You can have a nice great looking bird but if she makes you do the cooking and makes you sleep in another room what's the point????
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT View Post
                            Does it matter what it looks like as long as it works. I mean Vista looks nice but sux big style.

One to wind the women up. You can have a nice great looking bird but if she makes you do the cooking and makes you sleep in another room what's the point????
                            ok, this thing about Vista... I've been trying it for about a week now (big thanks to the person who provided me with a licence!). And I was very reluctant because of all the negative feedback on this forum and elsewhere on the web. As I fail to see the big deal about Vista after using it, my question to you is:

What exactly is wrong with Windows Vista?

edit: Wait.. I've started a new thread about it, so you can answer there.
                            Last edited by dZeus; 15 June 2008, 08:24.

Comment

PIT, ridiculously fast manifests itself also in how it can handle really heavy browsing (which ends up in bad habits - hundreds of tabs opened instead of bookmarking them (but admittedly, no bookmarks implementation is exactly to my liking)). Long after IE and FF would become unuseable, Opera keeps going gracefully. (what's funny is that Seamonkey, like FF based on Gecko, comes much, much closer to Opera in this regard).

Who knows, perhaps thanks to speed it will become more popular now that minilaptops gain popularity...especially since not only it's easy on RAM & CPU, but also has quite good working "fit to width" function. And it can be easily synchronised across all your devices (including mobiles)

It has also nice ways of menaging that many tabs - not only typical tab bar and "window" menu, but also sidebar and...something else with the name that is unknown to me (while in Opera, hold right mouse button and move mousewheel)

Comment

Working...
                              X