Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• usb harddisk woes

Hello,

A friend has encountered issues with a USB harddisk (Western Digital).

The drive is not always seen by the system, and when it is seen, the file system seems to have gone. Is there a way to get data of of it?
    (I'm thinking about running either Ontrack or Partition Magic at a time when it is seen by the OS)

Any other softwares you could recommend?
    Could it help to open the case and connect the disk directly (if possible)?

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

could you remove the drive and hook it up directly, as it might be dodgy usb thingy

Comment

Yes, that was the ultimate plan... But I try to exhaust all other optiosn prior to opening it...

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

No no, open it. The WD USB interfaces are hella picky/flaky.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Hook it directly, if that doesn't work, I got a quote for recovery on 500GB MyBook for I think 700 Euros from Ontrack Germany.

Comment

Had some troubles with the WD's, but the Seagate FreeAgent USB's work great here.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

the only problem I had with mine was the USB cable that was supplied with the unit. I replaced the cable and all was good.
              Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Have tried different cables, but to no avail... I'll tell them to open it up, and hook it up directly.

Thanks!

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

Is this one of those USB powered ones?
                  If so, have you tried a booster cable (2 usb port "y") to give it more power?
                  Some have issues with a single usb port not suppling enough power.
                  Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

No, it is one with a power supply (and no option of running it usb only)

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

Working...
                    X