I'm only lucky guy.... good AND bad lucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm only lucky guy.... good AND bad lucky

So I'm the first to admit that I've had a lot of good things happen in my life. I'm also willing to note that a lot of the items on the list of things that "happen to someone else" happen to me. Honestly, for the most part not complaining. It keeps my life interesting and is the price you pay for not hiding from the world all the time.

You might all remember that a year and a half ago I got burned out of my art loft.. still not back in there, and unlikely to ever get to.

So... this Wednesday I come home early from work around 4 to grab the rug cleaner I had rented the day before. The apartment hadn't looked so good in months. I come home to everything in my room (cconverted basement with an entrance) tossed EVERYWHERE. I then walk into the kitchen, and look up the stairs. My roommate’s blue life size female torso is staring back at me upside down at the top of the stairs. Upside down is odd.. but it should also be on the end table on the OTHER side of the front door at the top of the stairs. I head upstairs to find the living room and his bedroom equally as trashed. I then call my roommate to verify that he hadn't come home insane... and then proceeded to call the cops and touch as little as possible. At this point my roommate is rushing home.

I then see my cat Widget duck under my bed and she won't come out and whine/growls at me when I lifted the comforter. This relieved 80% of my stress and when she came out an hour later and was obviously not hurt most of the rest of it dissipated too. Things can be replaced flesh and blood not so much.

A patrol office shows up within 15 minutes. He then proceeds to note my story and the apartment. We discover what initially seems missing which amounts to: both our old cell phones, two of my old laptops, my meds, my digital camera (Canon A700), and here is the big one… my roommates entire camera bag with his Nikon D70S, three lenses, two flashes and 10+ CF cards….oh and one of my pillow cases. His computer is flipped upside down and everything is unplugged from the power strip and it looks like they were going for his LCD next. I had a fedex package on the front porch which we think is what scared him off since nothing else was stolen. He had dumped everything out of our drawers and closets looking for cash and jewelry (none was there). The thief had gotten in through the front door by breaking the frame.

My roommate shows up.. he looks around as well and we note that none of our paperwork is missing or our cards (I had mine on me and his were unmoved)… I still called the bank later and will likely switch my account numbers when I get back from a week in Florida.

We also had two detectives come by and look at the place and take more notes. Also, both of us have renter’s insurance. Something the cop said he hadn’t seen in ten years. Everyone has home owner’s, few have renter’s… fire and theft…. Yeah I’ll pay that $20/month.

In the end this could have been worse, we still have our computers, health and a quick response from the police and insurance coverage…. On the guy was an idiot since he left the wii there which was easily grab able. That and this happened before vacation.. annoying but I’d rather deal with it now than get a call while at Epcot. We both had also recently downloaded any/all photos on our cameras. Versus the fire this has been cake but I’d still annoyed that the place got trashed RIGHT after I cleaned the place top to bottom I think that still annoys me more than them violating my space or taking my old tech.

So yeah.. .karma gives it to me from both ends on a regular basis
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Fess up - you like it from both ends!
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

You know, they say that to clean your place properly you have to first make a mess...so now you have a really good starting point

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere View Post
        You know, they say that to clean your place properly you have to first make a mess...so now you have a really good starting point
        LOL VERY true. The place was already looking better by the time I left for Maine. Between living out of a suitcase for months after the fire and having to pack and sort everything in the loft for storage I've culled down my life a LOT. There is nothing like living minimally to make you see your stuff when you get back to it in a new light.
        Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

If the thief took your meds, it was possible a junkie looking for something to get a next fix...
          Glad to hear your cat was OK. The cats here own the place, and it would be impossible to have the place without them...
          At least you are insured...all that nsurance money finally coming back...
          think of all of us poor peope who pay insurance and nothing ever happens...(touch wood, no, not mine...)
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
          X