X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have WORMSIGN! - Dune (2010)

Hollywood Reporter story (Link)

Studio: Paramount

Director: Peter Berg (Hancock, Friday Night Lights, The Kingdom)

Writer: Josh Zetumer (in talks) (Quantum of Solace [Bond film])

Producer: Kevin Misher (Public Enemies, The Interpreter, Scorpion King)
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 June 2008, 07:34.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Again... this is SO not necessary. COMPLETELY, UTTERLY, and TOTALLY not necessary.

The remake on Sci-Fi failed to do it for anyone... so... ugh.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
      The remake on Sci-Fi failed to do it for anyone... so... ugh.
      Nominated for 3 Emmy's, won 2.

It and the sequel, Children of Dune, are the two highest rated programs ever broadcast on the SciFi channel with the first posting a rating of 4.6 and >3 million viewers - very high for a cable show. The series is also considered by critics an improvement on the 1984 film.

IMHO this one is acceptable, but a better large screen version is in order....if for no other reason than to put David Lynch's version down another notch.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 June 2008, 11:39.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

While the SciFi channel version of Dune was certainly closer to the book than the movie, it lacked much in the way of ... budget. Especially for a 6 hour mini-series in a scifi setting. And thus the acting, effects, and ability to portray the Dune universe suffered with it.

From the production/direction crew listed I would think they would turn the movie into an summer action flick more than portray the intricate socio-political thriller that is Dune. Just my opinion though.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Want a real remake-travesty in the making?

My Fair Lady with Keira Knightley as Eliza Doolittle

Sorry Keira, but you're no Audrey Hepburn.

Not to mention - how in hell do you recast Henry Higgins, a role totally owned by Rex Harrison?
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 June 2008, 12:30.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
            Want a real remake-travesty in the making?

My Fair Lady with Keira Knightley as Eliza Doolittle

Sorry Keira, but you're no Audrey Hepburn.

Not to mention - how in hell do you recast Henry Higgins, a role totally owned by Rex Harrison?
            Sir I couldn't agree more. Keira is one of the few skinny women I find truly attractive but is no Audrey. Heck Jennifer Connolly was my first crushes but come Dark Water I wanted to give her a sandwich.

Also... damn you and getting MFL songs stuck in my head
            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

It got Emmy awards but... well, it SUCKED. Not to mention that about halfway through, it was obvious the budget ran out since the nice CGI backgrounds gave way to painted pullscreens. "It's just a desert, it can be a static painting!"

Plus other than William Hurt, there were ZERO standout performances.

And frankly, I don't know what your issue is with David Lynch. The Toto soundtrack, the bizarre filmmaking, and the actors in the 1984 version were AWESOME. Any movie with Patrick Stewart AND Jorgen Prochnow, not to mention Brad Dourif and Dean Stockwell? And Max von Sydow? Hot diggety!

Even Kyle McLaughlan's trademark soulless acting couldn't dull my enthusiasm for this film!

A remake has to be better in virtually every way to impress, and the Sci-Fi remake wasn't. It might have gotten critical acclaim, but in my book it ranks right up there with such Sci-Fi travesties as "Earthsea" (I'm sorry, but I can no longer pine in my secret lustful heart for Kristin Kreuk after her involvement with that astonishing turd)!

The BEST version of Dune to date... is the early-90's PC game. Period.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

...or Dune 2000? (basically only a remake of Dune 2 on Red Alert engine, so wasn't met with much enthusiasm)

Comment

The biggest travesty in the Dune universe are the supposed Dune 7 books. I read the plot summaries and nearly wretched, not to mention KJA wrote them, and he couldn't write a good story if it jumped in lap.
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Ahhhh F-ing remakes again....

The original dune had Sting also, and even if some of the actors were a bit dodgy, the film in itself is a real Classic...just give me the HiDef version of that one, and i'll be fine.

I'm just worried for the future, people are going to know the remakes, think they are crap, and probably never see the originals...
                    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
                      Any movie with Patrick Stewart AND Jorgen Prochnow, not to mention Brad Dourif and Dean Stockwell? And Max von Sydow? Hot diggety!
                      Both Patrick S. and Dean S. appeared to have large broomsticks shoved up their rectums in the original. I've never seen either of these fine actors give less impressive performances.
                      The SciFi remake was twice the movie the original was, even if it was still only half the book.
                      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Apparently both version are available on blu-ray.

I have the special extended 84 version on dvd, they add a lot of stuff at the begining to fleshout the story.

Comment

Working...
                        X