X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LG 6x blu ray burner LG GGW-H20NL

I guess it is second generation(6x laser anyway),

SATA, 4 mb buffer, supports HD-dvd(woohoo ) 6x BD-R
    They are just starting to arrive in oz, the price is just about where I will take the plunge.

here BD-rom drives are about $200, burners about $600, this LG drive is starting $350 in a retail pack(1 blank disk included)

I was tempted to get PS3 as blu ray player, but this drive would be a nice addition to my HTPC and my enthusiasm for the PS3 is waning

BLU-ray blanks are still pretty expensive so I won't be doing a lot of burning for a while, but most of the critical stuff I like to keep a regular backup of will fit quite nicely on it so it does have a certain convenience in that respect.

I have not had a good run whih LG drives, so I am little bit wary of this one.

Any thoughts or reviews? to early or should I wait a bit longer

Not sure how different this one is, (GGC vs. GGW)

but theres a couple formal reviews on there, plus 22 user reviews.
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I wasn't expecting prices dropping so quickly...who knows, perhaps I'll be able to get on the bandwagon in the third generation of drives. Hopofeully by then price of balnks will be comparable with DVDs (per GB of course)

Comment

Now that Blu-ray version 2.0 is out and BD has won the HD war, I think prices will start to fall a bit. Especially when the cheap chinese units start to hit, and small, cheap all-in-one decoding chips start to hit (nvidia Tegra anyone?)
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The LG ggc drive you linked to is a combo drive that does not burn Blu-ray, hence it is a lot cheaper then the ggw-h20L.

Comment

Working...
          X