First MURC pic of myself (fish!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First MURC pic of myself (fish!)

I'm the one holding the fish. 53" Lake Sturgeon.

Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Congrats on the catch!!

I presume catch & release?
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Very cool! congrats
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Thanks!

Yeah, can't keep any sturgeon in Manitoba (possibly all of Canada, but don't quote me on that).

That's the biggest fish I've caught (so far).
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

Great catch !!

(wouldn't want to get my line caught up in those overhead power cables tho ...)
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Lol yeah. We were anchored 50 ft or so from the generating station

There was one line hooked over top with a weight hanging off of it. I'm told its been there for a few years. Looks like a lot of line on it too, so they probably cut the line immediately rather than trying to pull it down.

Comment

Caught this last weekend. My first decent Walleye.
              28.5", at my Aunt and Uncles cabin where I rarely catch anything over a foot. Totally caught me off gaurd.

ps. I am only wearing that hat because no one else was around, and I couldn't find another one to wear

Comment

Want something that'll catch you "off guard"? Try hooking into a 50 lb Muskie or 100 lb Tarpon on a run.

Damned near pull you out of the f'ing boat if the drag is set too tight
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Going White Sturgeon fishing towards the end of August in BC
                  5-8 footers seem to be the average, and there are many 10'+ (and probably nearing 1000lbs.) After that - the next step would be sharks I guess

From my experience with Lake Sturgeon, they don't hit very hard. They like to mouth the bait a bit first, so while its biting it seems like a much smaller fish. Channel Cat hit hard - we get lots of those at Lockport just north of the city. Not sure if I will have time this summer, but I would love to go Muskie fishing - probably Lake of the Woods, which is only a couple hour drive from Winnipeg.

Comment

One piece of advice if you go muskie fishing: take armored gloves and heavy-duty long nosed pliers. Getting the lure out of that mouth full of teeth can be a b**ch without them. A friend of mine required vascular surgery after a 45 lb muskie opened up a 40 stitch wound in his arm. Once he landed it in the boat it went nuts, snapping at everything in reach....then if found him.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 June 2008, 22:42.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Heh yeah, you hear about children being attacked when they are swimming...

Not sure if that is true... but I've heard they will take ducks - which I definitely believe.

Comment

People have been bitten about the legs near shore by muskies and they can leave quite a wound. Ducks, hell yeah. They're an apex predator in their environment and in my experience a bit territorial.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Woot - plane tickets are booked for the BC trip. August 19-24th. Sturgeon fishing on the Fraser on the 20th
                          Worked out to just over $500 for the round trip! (WestJet sale)

Comment

Channel Cat pulled in a couple hours ago.

37" and put up quite a fight.

Comment

Looks like you won the fight! What did that weigh?
                              FT.

Comment

Working...
                              X