Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpaceX Falcon 9: 5 engine night firing

I love night firings

Five engines out of 9 tested. How well things are going makes one wonder if they'll bother with the 7 engine test or go straight to 9 engines. Of course the real fun will be the Falcon 9 Heavy: 27 engines.

Video clip....(640x360 WMV - 5 megs)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

media@SpaceX.com

SpaceX Conducts First Five Engine Firing of Falcon 9 Rocket

McGregor TX – May 29, 2008 – Space Exploration Technologies Corp. (SpaceX) conducted the first five-engine firing of its Falcon 9 medium to heavy lift rocket at its Texas Test Facility outside McGregor on Thursday, May 29. At full power the engines generated almost half a million pounds of force, and consumed 1,750 lbs of fuel and liquid oxygen per second. This five engine test again sets the record as the most powerful test yet on the towering 235-foot tall test stand.

The test of the five Merlin 1C engines, arranged in a cross pattern like the Saturn V moon rocket, is the last step before firing the full complement of nine engines, scheduled for this summer. With all engines operating, the Falcon 9 generates over one million pounds of thrust in vacuum - four times the maximum thrust of a 747 aircraft.

“This is the first time that we’ve added more than one engine at a time, and all phases of integration and testing went smoothly,” said Tom Mueller, Vice President of Propulsion for SpaceX. “As with previous tests, we saw no unexpected interactions between the engines, and are on schedule for adding four more engines.”

The first Falcon 9 will arrive at the SpaceX launch site at Cape Canaveral by the end of 2008. The next flight of SpaceX’s smaller Falcon 1 rocket is scheduled for late June or July of 2008.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 June 2008, 18:43.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps
Working...
X