Lead and violence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead and violence

No surprise, especially given how many houses have lead paint and even lead pipes running from the house meter to the street mains in old communities.

Link....

Lead Exposure Linked to Violent Crime, Brain Changes

May 28, 2008 -- Exposure to lead during childhood increases the likelihood of being arrested for violent crime -- and is linked to decreased volume in regions of the brain associated with judgment and problem solving, according to two new studies.

Numerous earlier studies have found relationships between lead exposures and behavioral problems in children, including aggression, antisocial behavior, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and juvenile delinquency.

Last year Jessica Wolpaw Reyes of Amherst College in Amherst, Mass., published a report showing that the U.S. phase-out of leaded gasoline in the late 1970s could explain much of the decline in crime seen from 1992 to 2002, as children exposed to less lead became adults.

By accounting for confounding variables and considering results state-by-state where the phase-out happened at different times, Wolpaw Reyes calculated that for every 10 percent decline in grams of lead per gallon gasoline, violent crime rates decreased by 7.9 percent.

The new studies, published in PLoS Medicine, help confirm the link between lead exposure and crime by connecting direct measurements of childhood lead exposures to adult behavior, and by showing a biological change in the brain that is consistent with the observations.

The studies follow 250 people born between 1979 and 1984, who Kim Dietrich of the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine began tracking before they were born.

He recruited them from the Cincinnati inner city where dilapidated, older housing often containing chipping lead-based paint and lead-containing dust tends to increase lead exposure.

Dietrich combined the measurements he made of the children's lead levels both prenatally and at various stages in their childhood with public arrest records.

After adjusting for potential confounding factors, he found that an increase in childhood blood lead level of 5 micrograms per deciliter increased the rate of arrests for violent crime by about 30 percent, though the numbers varied depending on lead levels from which ages were considered.

The advised action level for children set by the Centers for Disease Control is 10 micrograms per deciliter of lead, although many researchers believe that level is too high, and should be changed to at least five.

"We know there are detectable and long-lasting effects for levels that go down to 2," said Ronnie Levin of the U.S. EPA, who published a review of children's lead exposures last week in Environmental Health Perspectives.

Wolpaw Reyes agreed. "There is absolutely no evidence of any threshold below which lead is safe," she added.

The Cincinnati team also used magnetic resonance imaging scans to compare the volume of brain regions in 157 members of the study group with a standardized brain image.

Those with higher childhood lead exposure showed decreased volume in parts of the prefrontal cortex associated with judgment, reasoning, mood regulation and some components of attention, said Kim Cecil, a collaborator of Dietrich's, who lead the brain study.

"The more the childhood blood level, the greater the loss was," Cecil said.

The new studies help address criticisms of earlier research that the behavioral problems associated with lead exposure could be explained by differences in child rearing or socioeconomic factors that might vary together with lead exposure.

"It's showing that independent of social factors, there's a biological basis," Cecil said.

"When we started following this cohort in earnest in 1980, I never expected to see anything like this. I don't think anyone else did, either," Dietrich said. "It doesn't give me great pleasure in reporting these results."

"We need to think about lead as a very powerful drug, in a way that even at low doses can have a major effect on brain function," he added.

Although lead levels in children have declined dramatically since lead was phased out in gasoline, "That public health benefit has not been appreciated as much by children in the inner city that continue to be at risk of lead exposure," Dietrich said.

Half of these children are not even screened for lead exposure as required by law, he said. "We need to be doing a better job."
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Whereas I agree that lead retards cerebral development, I'm not at all sure of the link to violence. Kids today are exposed to far less lead than a generation ago, especially from motor fuel exhausts, but I have the impression that they are much more violent.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Lower exposure in Europe perhaps, but not so much here...especially in old dwellings.

While it has been removed from gasoline, paints and other products there has been little in the way of the organized removing of it from old homes; most local codes say that as long as it's covered over by non-toxic paints it's legal. Same goes for water pipes joined with lead-containing solders etc.

IMO this is one of the hidden causes, or at least an exacerbating factor, when it comes to ADHD, autism and other learning disorders.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 May 2008, 07:22.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

If you do a search on lead + "mount isa" you will see some pretty natsty stuff, I think at least a few generations of people effected in that. (still ongoing)

And then you have the "incident" in esperance, almost the the entire small bird population died... people ask why, turns out the lead going out of the port was not "covered" correctly. most of the children have abnormally high lead levels....

Thats in the last 6months in Oz, the mount Isa one has been going on for a while longer though......

Comment

Interesting study.
          It's also possible that even though overall led exposure has gone down, if it really has, that differential lead exposure across the social spectrum tracks with other causes.

I'd be interested to see this data correlated with a cross generational study of absolute blood lead levels.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
            Lower exposure in Europe perhaps, but not so much here...especially in old dwellings.

While it has been removed from gasoline, paints and other products there has been little in the way of the organized removing of it from old homes; most local codes say that as long as it's covered over by non-toxic paints it's legal. Same goes for water pipes joined with lead-containing solders etc.

IMO this is one of the hidden causes, or at least an exacerbating factor, when it comes to ADHD, autism and other learning disorders.

For once I agree with you. Lead has been much reduced but signs are that violent crime amongst youngsters is going up.
            They are other factors at work here like poor parenting easy access to drugs and young people not expected to behave in a responsible manner at any time during growing up and not expecting to be responsible for their own behaviour.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Time to head for the caves guys, PIT and I are on an agreement run

Yes; bad parenting, lenient schools (when it comes to the important things) and the general coarsening of society by the media etc. have their roles, but if you start out with bad wiring that gets worse the end effects of those are increased - IMO near exponentially.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                Time to head for the caves guys, PIT and I are on an agreement run

Yes; bad parenting, lenient schools (when it comes to the important things) and the general coarsening of society by the media etc. have their roles, but if you start out with bad wiring that gets worse the end effects of those are increased - IMO near exponentially.

Eat lead punks!!!1 .....
                Attached Files
                "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Shit, as kids we kept lead airgun pellets in our mouth for faster reloading. It was so much faster than getting one and one from the tin.

Comment

Working...
                  X