Swopping out motherboards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swopping out motherboards?

If changing motherboards,what devices in system manager should be removed?
    Prefer to try this way instead of reinstalling win98,etc.
    Any suggestions?

I would simply wipe out in safe mode everything in your device manager and start fresh with the detection process... with only the AGP card first and once all is up, one card at a time...

Comment

I would just try deleating everything in the system manager. Do the HD controller and motherboard resources last since if you delete them you'll crash the system. If your just upgrading a BX to BX chipset you should just let windows detect the changes that the two different boards have. I've had pretty good luck with just windows dectecting the changes on the board with out me deleting any thing.

Scott

------------------
      Abit BH6 with a P3-450@558,128mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM, 2x CDR, WD 13.6 GB HD,SupraMax 56k modem

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

follow link print directions you will get a clean install of all your drivers and hardware with out loseing program info (some apps may have to be reinstalled like tweakdun, but 90% of your programs will be fine. Uuninstall any virus programs or you will get errors on bootup. !
        http://www.billsworkshop.com/techtips/cleaninstall.html

------------------
        its here, it's together and all the bugs are worked out.
        msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650.(not overclocked its a real 650 they underclcoked.) 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic and 56k ext modem, xitel p storm sound card. lots of controlers joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel, and 19in monitor,microsoft inteli mouse explorer(5 buttons). klip promedia v2-400 speakers.

noel

[This message has been edited by merchant2112 (edited 13 December 1999).]
        msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
        it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

I just swapped mbs without deleting anything from the system properties. Win98 SE detected everything as new and found all the right drivers. Didn't have to do anything except wait for the process to be completed and reboot.

A snap

Comment

Thanks for all the input and will let you know how I made out(still waiting for mobo and cpu!)

Comment

Last time I swapped my mobo and CPU, Win98 started detecting all new hardware and I ended up with the old hardware still in the device manager. Lots of doubles so to say

Had to delete everything in the device manager (in safe mode) by hand, then on the reboot it redetected all my hardware again and it's worked fine ever since.

Jorden.
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jorden, did u get conflicts when u had the doubles in DM ?
                Asus P2B @ 100Mhz
                PIII 800 / 133Mhz running @100MHZ = 600MHZ!!! VIA Asus Slotkey
                SimpleTECH 128MB X 3/ 100Mhz
                IBM 9.GB Ultrawide Scsi LVD
                IBM 18gb secondary drive @ 7200
                Maxtor 37GB storage drive @ 5400
                Marvel G200 TV
                Microtek E6 scanner via scsi card {adaptec 1502}
                HP CD12ri CDRW 12X10X32 BurnProof!
                Creative Infra48 CD ROM
                Creative AWE64 Gold [ISA]
                Realtek Chip NIC 10/100
                21' Samsung Syncmaster 1000p
                Firewire card
                Mini USB hub
                8 port Compex 10/100 hub
                Sandisk Reader - USB
                Cordless Logitec Mouse
                Iomega Zip100 [the old ugly one!]
                HP 1220 C - A3 printer

Comment

Reinstall? Well it depends. I never been able to switch between a AMD 750 board and a VIA KT133 without reinstalling both winME and WIn2k.

If the motherboard has the same chipset, you shouldn´t have any problems.

But hey, even AMD is saying you have to reinstall the OS when upgrading to a Palomino, so it´s better be on the safe side...

Comment

Jorden, if you've only deleted the doubles in the devicemanager, and then let some stuff detect on bootup again, then you will see that all the devices that were detected on startup after that deleting-safe-mode session will still be listed twice.

In fact, Win9x will list every device ever installed in the devicemanager in safemode (i.e. it will load it's drivers on startup, regardless if the device is present or not???). If you delete the entry of the one that isn't present in the system, it won't redetect the device on bootup afterwards. Problem is to find out which one is in use, and which one is still there from a previous detection (I haven't got a clue how to see which is which, and I don't even bother with win9x myself any more).

Comment

Here ya go!

Delete the entry:
                      hotkey_local_machine enum
                      from the registry, shut down, switch mobos, reboot!
                      cool, eh?
                      System 1:
                      AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                      Epox 8K7A
                      2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                      an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                      SBLIVE 5.1
                      Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                      IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                      Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                      3Com Hardware Modem
                      Teac 20/10/40 burner
                      Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

That was how I did it in 1999, these days I just go into safe mode and delete everything under System Devices from DM, then reboot and redetect
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

I would........

take a look here:

there was some good advice here

-Dil
                          Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Working...
                          X