HIGHLANDER ?

Hollywood Reporter article....

Summit takes on 'Highlander' redo

'Iron Man' writers on board for script

By Borys Kit

May 20, 2008, 02:39 PM

Updated: May 20, 2008, 11:12 PM

Who says there can be only one?

Summit Entertainment is bringing back to the big screen the 1986 sci-fi cult hit "Highlander," with "Iron Man" co-writers Art Marcum and Matt Holloway on board to write the script.

The original "Highlander" starred Christopher Lambert, Sean Connery and Clancy Brown as immortal beings battling humans, hunting down one another and collecting more power. Lambert played Scottish swordsman Connor MacLeod, Connery portrayed an Egyptian and Clancy was a barbarian known as the Kurgan. The film -- with its "There can be only one" catch phrase -- spawned four sequels and three television series.

Summit acquired the rights to remake the cult classic from Davis/Panzer Prods. Peter Davis, one of the original producers of the 1986 film, also will produce the new film.

Davis said the new "Highlander" will not just be a remake but will incorporate more backstory elements and prequel aspects that will be fleshed out to expand the story line in a way that is inventive yet faithful to the original story.

He also said romance was key to the series' popularity and would be a central theme in the new film.

"I would hate to think that people viewed 'Highlander' as a sword fighting movie because it's much more than that," he said. "The issues of an immortal falling in love with a woman and knowing she's going to grow old and die in your arms, those are very romantic issues to deal with."

By acquiring the rights to the property, Summit gains a recognizable brand and a franchise with worldwide popularity.

Summit's president of production Erik Feig, along with the company's senior vp production Geoff Shaevitz and creative executive Gillian Bohrer, will oversee the project for the studio.

Marcum and Holloway, repped by ICM, also penned "Convoy," which is set up at Paramount.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

boo.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originality is dead. It's one of the signs of a degenerate society.

Kevin

Comment

Yep, I LOLd hard at this one:

Comment

Originality is not dead. There is so much being made outside of the Hollywood-box. I can recomend The Weeping Camel.
          "I would hate to think that people viewed 'Highlander' as a sword fighting movie because it's much more than that"
          Which kills it for me. I'd like a good sword fighting movie.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

"What does 'baffled' mean?"

One of my favorite lines in Highlander. (Newspaper salesman reading from the paper, to the cops, about the case.)
            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen| View Post
              "What does 'baffled' mean?"

One of my favorite lines in Highlander. (Newspaper salesman reading from the paper, to the cops, about the case.)

My favorite line is:

Garfield: "You a FAG, Nash?"
              McCloud: "Why Garfield, you cruising for a piece of ass?"
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

There has to be a cut off point of how many times something is allowed to be remade
                www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Can't remember the exact line (I'm probably way off)...

"he was so upset with the lousy wrestling match, that in a fit of depression he went down to the garage and cut off his own head."
                  Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

Speaking of which, who remembers the TV series?

You know the gym owner Charlie DeSalvo (Philip Akin)? season 1-4, he is my Aikido Instructor on Tuesdays

Great guy, makes us laugh all the time

Comment

Never really watched the TV series, but I saw Highlander 4 - that had the main guy in it, correct?

They also do a Highlander parody in Robot Chicken...

Comment

Highlander 2: Renegade version, now that's a good movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzard[MPE] View Post
                          There has to be a cut off point of how many times something is allowed to be remade
                          Not if you follow the example of "Brewsters Millions" - 7 TIMES (1914, 1921, 1926, 1935, 1945, 1961 and 1985)

Also commonly remade is "The Front Page;

4 movies:

The Front Page (1931 - Adolphe Menjou and Pat O'Brien)
                          His Girl Friday (1940 - Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell - my favorite)
                          The Front Page (1974 - Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau)
                          Switching Channels (1988 - transitioned to a TV station with Burt Reynolds and Kathleen Turner)

4 TV versions all titled "The Front Page":1945 (US), 1948 (UK), 1949–1950 (US series) and 1970 (US)

and a London theater production named "Windy City" in 1982.

Then there is "Chicago" which has also been made 3 times for the screen:

Chicago (1927 silent - Phyllis Haver as Roxie Hart)
                          Roxie Hart (1942 - Ginger Rogers)
                          Chicago (2002 - Renée Zellweger - Best Picture Oscar)

and performed countless times on the stage.

Also often remade: The King And I, Anna Karenina, Beau Geste and Dangerous Liaisons.

But of course the all time champs have to be the various incarnations of Frankenstein and Dracula.
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 May 2008, 00:38.
                          Dr. Mordrid
                          ----------------------------
                          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Remaking classic films like this should not be allowed.
                            It just blinds the youth of today and future to what a brilliant film the original was.
                            they'll only remember the (possibly) crap version that came out last summer...
                            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

This is an interesting site. I knew a lot of the moives listed were remakes, but some of them surprised me.
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X