Ted Kennedy has brain cancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ted Kennedy has brain cancer

Breaking all over the place that Sen Ted Kennedy has a malignant glioma in his left parietal lobe, a diagnosis that is anything but encouraging. Glioma's are nasty bastards. His is inoperable, so the treatments of choice will be chemotherapy and radiation.

Depending on the size/type of his glioma he could have years to very little time left. Judging from the body language I'm seeing on the news from those close to him, particularly his buddy Sen Chris Dodd, it looks like the latter.

Also not good news for Sen Majority Leader Reid. While he is the titular leader of the Senate it's long been known that he can't do squat without the help of Sen Kennedy.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 May 2008, 12:07.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

At the risk of sounding insensitive... he's had years of "hard livin'". I don't wish this on anyone, but can't say it's surprising.

Of course, my INITIAL reaction was something along the lines of "is it the kind of tumor that makes you apologize for killing Mary Jo?"
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Can't say I disagree....
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Surprized his liver made it this long.
        More surprized his political career made it this long.
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

With his money, family connections and access to the health care brain trust I'd say he has a better prognosis than did Mary Jo Kopechne (July 26, 1940 – July 18, 1969).
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

If it's a GBM tumor then it's likely he won't live to see the Presedential elections. We don't know what grade of tumor it is yet.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Based on his age and current presentation, he most likely has a glioblastoma (Grade 4/4 astrocytoma). At best, he has an anaplastic astrocytoma, oligodendroglioma, or a mixture of the two (Grade 3/4). All of these are very bad...

Here are some survival statistics based on optimal therapy:

Strangely, other than exposure of the cranium to ionizing radiation, risk factors and causes of gliomas haven't been worked out yet...

Comment

He had some sort of surgery for circulation in or near his head about 6 months ago.
                A doctor I saw on TV said that he would almost certainly have had a cranial scan at that time. Meaning that it wasn't there then and is likely growing rather quickly.
                Not a good sign.

One of my best friends in college died of a brain tumor. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

Most of the "therapy" for these things is for relief of symptoms.

My wifes uncle-by-marriage was also diagnosed with a parietal glioblastoma after a seizure and he was dead within a month, mainly because it was one of those fast growers.

Nasty SOB's.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Yup. Latest news is that it's fast-growing, and that it's "make him comfortable" time.
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

My brothers best friend in the UK was diagnosed with one of these last year, and died a couple of weeks ago.
                      36 years old.

I think that Gurms right.
                      Make him comfortable time.
                      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
                      X