Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpaceX Falcon I launch in June

Hopefully on the 24th, my birthday

SpaceX is targeting late June for a Falcon 1 launch from the Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands. The payloads are from the US government & ATSB, Malaysia's main small satellite company.

SpaceX webcasts their launches, so when the link is announced I'll put it up here.

A much larger Falcon 9 (nine 1st stage engines) is due for delivery to the Kennedy Space Center by the end of the year for launch in early 2009. It too will be carrying a so far secret US government satellite.

If that goes well three more F9 launches are on the manifest for 2009: MDA (Canada), Avanti Communications (UK) and the first test flight of the Dragon spaceship which is intended for ISS cargo/crew and later private cargo/crew launches.

SpaceX's family tree

SpaceX Falcon I: one 1st stage Merlin engine and one 2nd stage Kestrel engine

Falcon 9: nine 1st stage Merlins and one 2nd stage Merlin.
    For scale: that cargo shell can hold a school bus.

Falcon 9 Heavy (modern equivalent of the mighty Titan IV): twenty seven 1st stage Merlins and one 2nd stage Merlin.

This beast is designed to put 33,075 lbs (15,000 kg) into a GTO (Geostationary Transfer Orbit) without a cryogenic 2nd stage
    (
    cryogenic = liquid hydrogen + liquid oxygen)
    . This is more than the weight of a Daimler Orion VII Hybrid city bus.

GOD KNOWS what it'll do with one

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 May 2008, 18:29.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps
Working...
X